Recent Disney release is non-anamorphic - Sister Act

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Gregory, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

It seems that Disney has decided to release this film for the first time and has issued a 1.85 non-anamorphic transfer. Very disturbing.
    Looks like Disney has been taking a page from our friends at Warner Bros., by not releasing "Flat Comedies" in anamorphic widescreen. [​IMG]
    -Chad
    Edited to add smilie for people who might not know the joke reference
    [Edited last by Chad Gregory on November 07, 2001 at 02:43 PM]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

quote: Looks like Disney has been taking a page from our friends at Warner Bros., by not releasing "Flat Comedies" in anamorphic widescreen.[/quote] I'm sorry, but you have your history reversed. You're also comparing apples to oranges.
    Warner was one of the first studios to issue DVDs. The vast majority of their releases have been anamorphic widescreen. For a brief period in 1997-98, Warner experimented with a series of low-cost featureless discs in 4:3 ratio only, many of which were comedies and nearly all of which were based on older transfers. A big reason for this strategy was to "prime the pump" by quickly multiplying the number of titles available on DVD at a time when many of the major studios had not committed to the format, or had done so only half-heartedly.
    Disney, OTOH, only grudgingly committed to issuing anything on DVD until some time after Warner and Sony had made the effort to create the market. For the first year or so of its participation in the format, almost of all of Disney's titles were nonanamorphic widescreen (and sometimes not even widescreen). It took a lot of lobbying and effort to get them to where they are today.
    The recent arguments with Warner have been over widescreen vs. P&S, not over widescreen letterbox vs. anamorphic. The debate reflects an utterly different set of market realities created by the success of the DVD format. But it has nothing to do with whether or not a widescreen DVD should be anamorphically enhanced.
    I can't imagine why, in today's market, anyone would issue a widescreen DVD that isn't anamorphic, but obviously it still happens. Nevertheless, Disney isn't taking their cue from Warner; they're just reverting to their old bad habits.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 07, 2001 at 01:47 PM]

3. Chad Gregory

This is the biggest problem that I was raising. How can a widescreen DVD be released, at this stage, without anamorphic enhancement?
    -Chad

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The majority of WB's widescreen DVD's are anamorphic. The only non-anamorphic WB widescreen DVD I've found is Goodfellas (good thing an SE is coming soon.)

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Chad --
    Sorry, I didn't mean to question your knowledge. My point was simply that Disney's failings in this area are quite different from Warner's (again, IMO), and that Disney has never needed anyone to teach it how to screw up a release. [​IMG]
    M.

6. Chad Gregory

7. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Just a note: the WB release of Ladyhawke is also non-anamorphic wide-screen. I wish they would correct this mistake.
    [Edited last by LarryH on November 07, 2001 at 11:03 PM]

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor