Receiving HD... (DirecTV vs. Comcast)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrettEr, Jan 22, 2005.

1. BrettEr

BrettEr Auditioning

My set up is new, as am I to HT.

Last month, I received a DirecTV Tivo receiver/DVR for my birthday. Having already had DirecTV service, this was/is a great deal for $4.99/month.

But, now that I have a new HT system, I want to get the HD service. But, I'm not sure if I should stick with DirecTV or switch to Comcast. Since I have my cable internet through Comcast I would save some money there, plus they now have DVR's built into the cable receivers.

So, does anyone have any preference of either service?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to an area where it's more likely to be seen by people who can answer the question. I also added "DirecTV vs. Comcast" to the title.

M.

3. AdamSZ

AdamSZ Auditioning

IMO stick with DirecTV. theyre overall cheaper. the only bad thing, its gonna cost about $350 for a new dish and reciever for HD service. i also just got the DVR deal, and asked the installer (why they needed soemone to plug in a new reciever is beyond me, but they wouldnt jsut send me the reciever, they insisted someone else - a "professional" do it) about HD service, and he said not to even bother with HD right now. its still new, theres not many channels, its expensive initially. he told me to wait about a year, and DirecTV is gonna add a few more channels, and it should be cheaper for the intial cost. also a HD/DVR reciever is $999, so you should chose one or the other.

4. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

If you want a higher quality in HD picture, as well in additon to DVR a need to offload HD content to DVHS(to save space on DVR), I'd go with Comcast.

Note, I use Comcast, DirectTV(local and HD), Voom and a C/Ku BUD.

5. AdamSZ

AdamSZ Auditioning

dont mean to go off topic here, but is there a way to take shows/movies from your DVR and straight to a DVD burner? or do i have to use VHS? i noticed when browsing though the things i record, it has an option to send to VHS, i was just wondering if the VHS could be suplemented with DVD.

6. jamesMAD

jamesMAD Auditioning

Have you ever considerd Dish Network?
    Their programming is cheaper and you can get the
    dish and hdtv receiver for free.

7. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

The thing with Dish I currently dont like is that they have very little HD. I used to use them in the Dish 5k/mod days because of recordability. Things will change and hopefully Chuck will use that new Voom bird they recently purchased to offer more HD. Their transition to MPEG4 and the new bird will bring much more content to Dish.

8. jamesMAD

jamesMAD Auditioning

You make a valid point. Voom is the best as far as the amount and variety of hdtv channels.It is also a newly launched satellite; which means better technology and signal reliability. The only problem is it's going to be more expensive especially if you don't want to sign a 6-12 month commitment. But, hey if you can afford it... go for it.

9. martyTeboe

martyTeboe Extra

JamesMAD said: "You make a valid point. Voom is the best as far as the amount and variety of hdtv channels.It is also a newly launched satellite; which means better technology and signal reliability. The only problem is it's going to be more expensive especially if you don't want to sign a 6-12 month commitment. But, hey if you can afford it... go for it."

James,

What has VOOM told you about them going bust? Will you automatically become a DishNet (Echostar) sub? Will you be forced to sign a contract?

mt

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Is Dish doing this as well as D*?

The big news from CES was D* sending up several new birds to support LiL Digital TV (Including HD), which will mean a transition to MPEG-4. But that will mean new hardware for everyone. D* has not said specifically how that will be handled....just some vague commitment to support their existing customers through the swap out.

There is a huge amount of aggravation over at the AVS Tivo forum among users of the HD Tivo box, since the question of just what the new hardware will be is unanswered.

D* is transitioning away from Tivo, so its possible that the new HD DVR that they offer me to replace my HD Tivo will likely not be a Tivo. If thats so, bye, bye D*, unless its better than Tivo in every way....even if it is, we have used Tivo for 5 years...no way in hell the family would tolerate a swap to a new, lesser DVR.

So, all that said, if I were you, I would not but a HD Tivo until D* answers some questions about what the transition to MPEG4 will mean to you.

Putting those questions aside, the HD Tivo is the killer App for HD fans. I get all of the D* HD channels (HBO, Discover, ESPN, two flavors of HDNet, plus all my digital locals via antenna). Its a truly integrated, simple to use box.

It would be easy to recommend, even though it is close to a $1K (it can be had at about $890 from legit e-tailers, plus you can finagle credits from D* to lower the cost more), save for the uncertainty about D* future plans.

BGL

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you can get some money out of the DTV Tivo then I would go w/ comcast. For $10 a month you can get a dual tuner HD DVR that not only tunes HD but also records it and allows you to watch something completely different than what you're recording. These boxes for DirecTV are EXTREMELY expensive right now and i'm not even sure if they have the dual tuner feature.

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

All the D*Tivo boxes have dual sat tuners, IIRC.

And the HD Tivo actually has two OTA digital tuners, and two D* Tuners. Pretty handy! The other night we recorded two HD OTA programs at the same time.

But as has been said a few times, you pay dearly in $$$$ for that!

BGL

13. Ken R

Ken R Auditioning

I bought my wife DirecTivo for Christmas after our Mits HD receiver went haywire. We had separate Tivo up til that time. We also had combination of Comcast, O.T.A., and DirecTV. Now we've cancelled ComCast. The HD lady at DirecTV told me that HD local channels should be available in the Dallas Ft. Worth market this summer. I'll take down my outside antennas.

I absolutely love the HDTivo box. It has two off-air receivers and two satellite receivers built in. They operate as needed with little operator intervention. DirecTV is increasing HD programming as they get new HD channels and programming. Also, having the HD package, I also get NBC HD and Fox HD included. The reception is more reliable than anything I've been able to get O.T.A.

My only complaint at the present time is that the DirecTivo box is so incredibly slow to change channels. It takes up to five seconds to move from channel to channel. My other DirecTV boxes (non HD) in other rooms of the house change instantly. By pushing the navigator UP/Down button, the set continues to display the channel I'm watching while scrolling the destination channel at the bottom of the screen. The new DirecTivo box doesn't have this feature. One has to channel Up or Down to get from one place to another (unless you have memorized the channels that you regularly watch). It's very annoying. Also, another missing feature is Caller ID. The DirecTivo box doesn't do that. My other DirecTV boxes have that feature. I find it very useful. A software upgrade could solve both problems, I think.

My future complaint (I can already see it coming) is that they're selling these expensive boxes; but plan to make them obsolete in 2005! That's THIS YEAR! At least that's the way I understand it. A simple software download won't make the existing product capable of receiving the new MP4 signals from the new satellites. I can see a class action lawsuit brewing. In addition, new a new dish will probably be required to receive the two new birds they're launching. I think DirecTV has a lot to worry about in this respect. We're a finicky bunch, you know.

I heard yesterday that Dish Network is buying Voom with the intention of destroying it. Is this true?

Ken

14. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Ken -

I know what you mean about the navigation button. I love my DirecTV but the two features I miss most is the ability to scan channels without shrinking the picture to the size of a stamp by pulling up the full guide and Comcast on Demand.

As for your HD DVR, I'd wait to see what D* does before getting upset. I've learned in a very short time that they are a very consumer friendly company and listen to their subscribers. I've gotta believe that they won't screw over the portion of their subscriber base that has demonstrated the willingness to spend $1000 on a box.

Lastly, the news reports I saw said that Dish was planning to shut down voom and use the satellite hardware for their own stuff.

15. BrettEr

BrettEr Auditioning

Thanks for all of the input!

I'm not too excited about cancelling my DirecTV, mainly because when I activated my TIVO, I had to commit to a year of service with something like a $200 cancellation fee.[​IMG]

So, I guess what I am hearing is, wait a few months to see what DirecTV is going to be doing with the new hardware. Right?

16. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

So why not pick up a used ATSC tuner on Ebay or something.

HDTV for minimum investment.

17. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

When I called Comcast to tell them I was switching to DirecTV in August, they told me that if I wanted to come back they would give me $400 in credits to offset the D* cancellation fee. If you do end up going back to cable, call your cable company, tell them you are a D* subscriber and that you want to find out what they can offer to make you come back. After they give you their deal, tell them that it sounds good,but that you also have a $200 cancellation fee and see if they can give you credits to offset it.

18. Dustin A

Dustin A Extra

Comcast is nice, but your bill ends up being $120+ in the blink of an eye.