Receivers

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I currently own the Pioneer VSX-405 receiver but what I was woundering is that is it worth getting the Onkyo TX8222 receiver if I already have the Pioneer one? I will be just using them for music listening.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I really need to know if the Onkyo receiver is better than mine when listening to music since if that's the case then I will have to upgrade to Onkyo.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
whats the Onkyo have that the Pio doesn't?

you know its hard giving subjective opinions there'll be people who love the Pioneer sound, and other who like Onkyo better... the reason there's no answer is probably that the answer will boil down to

"listen to both yourself and pick the one you like"

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well my Pioneer one costed $320 when I got it few years agao and the Onkyo one costs $150. My Pioneer have DSP like Pro Logic and it can to 5.1. But I dont use surroud sound for my music so I would only need a 2 channel. But do you guys think that the Pioneer one is going to have more clear sound than the Onkyo one since it costed more?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
so far, I've noticed that people with older equipment tend to think their older stuff sounds better. Newer stuff like the Onkyo will have some features not available when the older stuff came out, but unless you want (and use) those features it doesn't mean the new stuff will automatically sound better.

Having said that, ProLogic II is such a huge improvement over the older ProLogic - I never used PL for music previously either, but almost always listen to music with PLII now.

Another factor is internal decoders and DACs in newer receivers might be better than what was available then (and cheaper, too) so if you depended on the receiver to do decoding, a newer one might sound better.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I found the Yamaha RX-397 is this receiver more natural sounding than the Onkyo one I was talking about?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
did you get to listen to the models you are looking at? there's no way for other people to tell how any receiver will work with your speakers and in your room

FeisalK

Screenwriter
and here are two Pantone codes for blue #656, #652
without going to the Pantone color page to see the colors, which blue is more natural? And, assuming both blues are "natural", which blue do you like better?

point, is none of us can tell from specs - Panasonic XR55 has pretty iffy specs, the way they publish it (100W into 6Ohms at 1KHz) but it sounds really fantastic and has a lot of fans. You'll have to wait for someone who has had both pieces of equipment to post here

there are some factors to consider though: what are your speakers - how much sensitivity and what impedance are they? how large is your room? how loud do you want to listen to (in real SPL terms*) and is the amp able to produce the amount of power required? there's a calculator to estimate how much power you need given these factors, here

* in real SPL terms how loud is 100db?

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I would listen around 80db or 85db at most when I really want to enjoy the music but mostly around 65db.

I am currently using the JBL HLS410 speakers and a Pioneer VSX-405 receiver. Here's some of the specs. I am using these speakers in a med sized bedroom. My room is a rectangle 15 feet long and 12 feet wide and from ground to celling is 8 feet.

HLS410:

General
Sensitivity: (2.83V @ 1m) 86
Impedance: 8
Bass Driver: 4"
High-Frequency Driver: 10mm mounted in Constant Directivity Horn
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 15 - 100 watts
Dimensions: (H x W x D) 10 x 5 1/2 x 6 1/8"
Frequency Response: (±3dB) 75 - 20kHz

FeisalK

Screenwriter
any mass market receiver should be able to fill the room

I used to have a (different model) Yamaha that always sounded impactful for movies, then a Marantz which sounded less impactful, but somewhat more refined. Am using a Panasonic XR now which - to me - is the best of both worlds. Dunno about the Onkyo tho.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Yes any receiver will fill my room but which receiver is the best to get more precise sound out of my music? Is my current Pioneer VSX-405 good enough receiver?

jeffNEL

Auditioning

Actually, it's quite easy to give SUBJECTIVE opinions. OBJECTIVE opinions are much harder to come by. : )

Jeff

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I agree with this assessment. I have a stereo setup in my office where I'm also using an old ProLogic receiver in stereo mode and it sounds great. I suspect that your receiver sounds fine, and in order to get noticably better sound you'd need to upgrade the speakers before the receiver.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex