Receivers without fans...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

More and more receivers, I guess especially as they add extra amps for >5 speakers, have fans... a concept I loathe.

1. Which receivers do an do not have fans?

2. Of receivers with fans which are quiestest? Do they all come on only when heat gets to a certain point, or are they on all the time.

-Steve

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

The Onkyo TX-DS898 does have a fan. Facing the front of the receiver, it is visible through the top cover ventilation slots under the circuit board near the front left corner. The fan is off during low volume levels. I've seen the fan operate at slow speed while playing bass-heavy music at moderate volume. I've seen (and heard) the fan operate at a higher speed after playing Led Zeppelin at high volume for 15 minutes. [​IMG]

3. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

The McIntosh MHT100 doesn't have a fan.

Marty

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX does not have a fan. It does run a little warm, so I removed the top shelf from my audio rack to allow for more ventilation.

5. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I'm told my Denon 3802 has a fan, but I've never heard or seen it. If it does, it's much quieter than the fans in my ReplayTV or my Samson S1000 amp.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My Sony ES doesn't have a fan or if it does I can't hear it even with my ear on top of the unit. I have MORE than enough room for ventilation as well.

I'm pretty sure most if not all ES's don't have a fan.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My Pioneer VSX45TX and my Tivo both have fans, but I've never been able to hear them. The reciever is on an open shelf with 10" of clearance above it. I'm not deaf, as I can hear the hard drive running in my webtv unit and my dvd player makes noise when chapter switching, and they're both 14 feet away from my couch. I can also easily hear the hum from a flourescent "light bulb" on my patio with the sliding door shut.

8. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

My HK AVR-325 has a fan, but I've never heard it or seen it run (looking through the back grill with a flashlight). It's in a glass-doored cabinet with 4-5" of clearance above it.

Tim

9. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

Rotel - no fan

NAD - fans

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Rotel, B&K, Sunfire (I think)

11. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

The Denon's do have a fan, but they only turn on when needed, and only if the volume is loud enough to not hear it, I've NEVER heard it. Nor have I seen it spin.

12. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

The secret is a big, big fan turning very slow, one in my sub amp and you can put your ear on it and swear there is no fan, it is just so big and so slow, big blades dont have to turn 6000rpm to move a lot of air. I would have bet money my big amp had no fan untill I took the lid off and to my surprise. . .

13. Babek

Babek Stunt Coordinator

Oh my, the Onkyo TX-DS898 is unbelievable. Who cares if it doesn't have any fans, that receiver is awsome.

I just checked a review of it and saw that its a high end receiver with thx ultra and everything. That's awsome!