Receivers with Video scalers/deinterlacers built in?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by cabreau, Apr 27, 2004.

1. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I think the Denon line has some sort of Deinterlacer/Scaler built in for upconversion for video...but are there any other receivers that have this? I'd love to see a receiver with a Faroudja scaler/deinterlacer in it. That would probably solve all of my video problems. I'd love to be able to input a composite, two S-Videos and a component source into the receiver and make it scale to 1024x768 and deinterlace it and output it via ONE component cable to my projector.

2. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

3. DavidK

DavidK Extra

I think, at least, the new flagship Yamaha receiver has this capability too - RX-9 or some such designation..not sure about other newer Yamaha models though.

4. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'll be sure to check it out. Anyone else who has any input, please, feel free to help out. Scaling/Deinterlacing built into receivers is going to be HUGE and it's coming quick!

5. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Yep, the RX-Z9 has Faroudja upconversion...but it's $3600 online. I found the AVR-7300 for $1399 from most online dealers. Quite a difference in price. :S

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I don't think it will be that huge at all.

It will likely be found only in higher-end models, and people spending that much on a receiver likely would rather have an outboard scaler/processor which likely would do a better job anyway.

7. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

I doubt that any of the receivers mentioned will scale to 1024x768. That is an oddball lcd resolution. At best you will get 1080i, 720p and 480p. I know the Yamaha RX-Z9 supports all 3. I thought the HK only acted as a line doubler but I may be wrong.

8. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'll research this and find out...
    You are right. The 7300 deinterlaces to 480p and that's it. The Yamaha RX-Z9 scales to 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Hmmm...I wonder if it's worth the extra money.