What's new

receivers with component *progressive* switching? (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
sometime in the next few months i'm looking to finally upgrade to a dts 6.1 receiver with dvd-audio capabilities, etc. Also need a few optical inputs, and component video switching.

i was at best buy looking around and it looked like only two receivers that seemed to fit the bill was a Yamaha HTR5560 and the new Sony (DE885) which i would otherwise stay away from, but it also stated its video switcher passed a progressive signal which is key for me. The other receivers with switching didn't have the word "progressive" in the details.

I know Sony has a rather weak track record with their receivers - any chance this thing might be decent?

what other receivers can pass a progressive signal? don't need HD to pass through it, my tv has an internal receiver. but i would like to use an xbox in addition to my dvd player without buying another switcher.

thanks

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I went with the Pioneer VXX-D811S for the main reason of component switching. It does a perfect job of it (notice no difference passing Prog. DVD and Xbox thru it to my Samsung TSL3294HF. ProII,DTS ES, DD-EX are nice additions too. I am VERY happy with my purchase. Especially in the $300 neighborhood. I do not think you can find a better or more full featured receiver for the price!

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
any receivers from Onkyo will pass Prog.-480p and Hi-Def-1080i thru their Component inputs without signal loss,i know you said you do not did to pass Hi-Def. put the more bandwidth the better even on Progressive signals
by the way the X-Box will be coming out with games in Hi-Def.-1080i in the third and fourth quarter of this year.I forgot their names,one of them is a car racing game,check the game sites for which ones.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
I saw that Pioneer, and i'm considering that one for sure. I can do dvd-audio with it, multiple optical inputs, progressive component switching, and it's not a sony :)

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure to carefully check the bandwidth specs. IIRC, 45Mhz is needed to pass HDTV signals without any loss. The Onkyos are over 50Mhz, the Pioneer 811 is 28Mhz.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
What about 480P? What are the ranges on it? I have a Yamaha HTR-5280 that according to the specifications can pass up to 25Mhz. Currently, I have only my DVD and X-Box hooked up directly to the monitor. I am out of component jacks and thinking about the future. Thanks.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I run the H/K AVR 520... currently for XBox and DVD switching. This will change when I undertake the switch to HD-Sat.
(luckily, the Sony has Two sets of Comp Vid inputs :D)
Spec for AVR 520 Component Video: 10Hz – 35MHz (–3dB)
Spec for AVR 8000 Component Video: 10Hz – 30MHz (–3dB)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello Sean,
I'm not sure what price range you're considering, nor what best buy's receiver selection is like, but may I suggest a higher end Yamaha model? I currently own, and adore, my RX-V3200 which has all the features you're looking for including DPLII, DTS NEO:6, DTS-ES 6.1 discrete, dolby matrix 6.1, 2 sets of component inputs (which can properly pass the progressive-scan signal from my Toshiba player no problem), 7 optical inputs, and 120W X 6 plus much more!
If it seems too expensive, you can also try some of the smaller receivers from the RX-V line. Regardless, good luck and happy shopping!
:D

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Yamaha receivers can be compared for component video switching capability on the website Comparison Chart: TRY HEREfor both RXV and HTR model lines.
30Mz is ok for DVD but HD signals require at least 35Mz. Some of the HTR models will just list HD Compatible. Some older RXV will list 30Mz and newer ones at 50Mz.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
guys-
explain to me the benefit of hooking up video inputs to the back of the receiver... i'm not quite understanding why you'd do that.
p

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
peter a -

my tv, the rca F38310, has an internal HD receiver so the makers probably figured we only needed one more comonent input...so they only included one. anyway, if i ever wanted another progressive component, like an xbox, a receiver that does progressive video switching would be right up my ally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks