Receivers With Assignable Amplifiers and Some Other Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CurtisBilly, Mar 20, 2002.

1. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly Extra

Wondering if I could get some feedback on receivers in the approximately $500-$1000 range that have assignable amplifiers? I have:

Fronts: NHT 2.5i

Center: NHT AC-1

Rears: NHT 1.5

Rear Centers: don't own, but maybe another pair of 1.5s????

The front speakers really shine (on music) with an external amplifier driving them. I think I will choose the 2-channel THX certified Parasound HCA-1000A unless someone else can make a better recommendation or has these speakers connected to something else that just sounds awesome.

Thus I will be buying a receiver and a 2-channel amp, and naturally I don't want to pay for amplification that I'm not going to use. I know of two receivers which allow assignable amplifiers (i.e. 7.1 via 5 amplifiers in the receiver and 2 external FRONT DRIVING amplifiers). The H/K AVR-520 allows jumper pins connected via the back panel to enable the center and both sets of rear speakers to be powered by the reciever leaving the fronts to be externally powered. Memory serves that the Denon AVR-4800 does this routing somehow, perhaps internally.

Please respond if you know of any receiver with this routing. It is high on my priority list and not listed up front in spec sheets.

Another thing which seems bogus to me is the lack of DD-EX on a number of recent 6,7.1 receivers. DTS-ES is there but no mention of DD-EX. I'm of the belief that any THX receiver advertised as "THX Surround EX" will do the DD-EX but I could be wrong. I know the new Onkyo 600 is advertised as DD-EX capable. Maybe this is the first non THX receiver to do DD-EX (Star Wars TPM here we come!)

Anyway I know my "features" I am looking for are a little odd, but maybe some people out there could enlighten me.

Thanks,

Curtis

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Curtis,

you may find better solutions if you don't worry too much about "paying for amps that your not using". You will find many more choices of rcvrs that already have 6 or 7 amps built in and you reaaly may not be loosing anything by having the extra amps (especially when it comes to resale time)....as for using just 2 channels of amplification, that's another issue. Are you almost entirely 2 channel music? Are you concerned with multi-channel hi-res music? Are you worried about having a mismatched sound for HT or dvda/sacd?...Are you eventually going to buy 3 of the same 2 channel amps?

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

the HK 8000 does this, as well as THX EX/DD EX and Logic7.

4. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly Extra

Thank you Matthew (and Chriss) for your responses. If nothing else, it got me to reconsider with concerns such as resale value and more importantly mismatched amplification.
    2 channel music is very important to me. Perhaps of paramount importance in my decision. I was considering just getting the best A/V receiver I could get and settling for the 2 channel playback offered by that unit, until a local hifi store let me hear my NHT 2.5i's with an esoteric 2 channel amp (WOW!) Fact of the matter is I haven't gotten the chance to hear a GOOD A/V receiver rival the 2 channel setup I heard yesterday nor a 2 channel setup I could afford for that matter.
    I will have DVD-Audio as well as SACD in my system so I think having matched amps is really something I should consider (thanks Matthew). With that in mind, as well as the tax refund I just computed [​IMG], I am strongly considering the Onkyo TX-DS898. It was a top consideration of mine before I started trying to piece together a 2 channel amp/receiver combo. I think the zone 2 powered feature allowing a separate source in a separate room is true genius and something I will put to great use. The 2 channel playback should be good if not great (comments?), and certainly better than the DD Sony el cheapo I am using right now.
    Thanks for your help here guys. I am a convert from the Spot and find the format of having receiver discussion all lumped together is better than what they have going over there.