What's new

Receivers with AC-3 RF Input (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
You laserdisc fanatics have gotten my juices flowing. I'm looking on ebay right now for a good LD player and some discs. Now I have a quandary: my HK AVR 320 does not have an AC-3 RF input. I know that I could get a demodulator, but they seem expensive. So the cogs in my brain start turning. And what do you know--my dad's Sony STR-DE915 has a AC-3 RF input (and I thought it was just a coax input...).
Thus my question: What other receivers have AC-3 RF input? I'm looking for cheaper than a demodulator, no high-end stuff. Now, back to finding that "Faces" box set...:)

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
The actual requirement now for you is to get an LD player
with an AC-3 output + demodulator coz they will be connected
to the Receiver digital coax input for u to enjoy Lasredisc.

Jim J

Second Unit
Faces? I'm not sure that one is AC-3

I think only the SEs have Dolby Digital. Otherwise you won't need the AC-3...

I have both. I have an older Denon decoder that takes the LDs AC-3, spits out an optical signal for my HK520 to handle.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Jesse, what you'll need is a receiver with an AC-3 RF input and either a digital or multichannel output to send to your H/K 320. I'm sure an RF demod will be much cheaper...

Dave Lyons

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon 3200 has an input. I have my Pioneer CLD-406 going directly into the Denon for Dolby Digital -- sounds good. Not sure how much the old 3200 is going for on the used market though ... probably close to a demodulator price at this point ...

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
You can find a Denon 3200 for around $200. I sold mine about a year ago for around that. It is a great DD receiver, no DTS though.

Look around for one you wont be disspointed, IMO it sounded better than my 3802 for music. Besides for $200 you cant really go wrong

Earle

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Jesse,
Note that on many receivers, whatever is input into the active digital input is output to the digital output (assuming it has one) without being modified. So, you could pipe the AC3-RF into a receiver's AC3-RF input (like the Sony STR-DE915), and pipe its digital output (optical in this case) into your `real' receiver. In this way, you will just be using it as a demodulator.

The STR-DE915 is one of Sony's first-gen DD receivers. You should be able to find one fairly inexpensively.

David Markowitz

Auditioning
My Denon 5600 has RF AC-3 in, and optical and coax in.
I don't recall any digital output though, but I could be wrong. DD only, no DTS, but you can mod it to add DTS decoding for $595 (http://www.msbtech.com).
Saw one on EBay recently that went for $770.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks