Receivers with 2 optical inputs for around $250? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank_M, May 15, 2002.

1. Frank_M

Frank_M Stunt Coordinator

Would appreciate any help on this front.

Building a second system in our basement, and will have DTV or DTivo (both with only optical out) as well as my older Sony DVD player (optical out, only)... so I need two optical slots.

Would prefer at least two (three prefered) S-video inputs as well.

2. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

I have the Kenwood 507 which goes for under $250 U.S. It has two optical and 2 coaxial digital audio inputs. It also has 4 s-video inputs. It's 5 x 100 watts and has the full implementation of dpl II, DD and DTS. For a little more money you can get the 509, which does component switching.

You may want to scout around, though as I believe Kenwood is just rolling out there new line.

3. Frank_M

Thanks Keith, I'll check that out.

Anyone else?

I think the Sony STR-DE685 also would meet my needs... but I'm leary of lower end Sony receivers.

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

The Pioneer VSX-D710S has 2 optical inputs, if you can find one. They've been replaced with the 711S, but you may be able to find one on ebay or half.com.
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...de=piovsxd710s
    Word of warning, avoid the DE models from Sony. They really suck compared to similar units from other companies in the same price range. Very poor QC standards on them.
    Another option is to look in the For Sale section here at HTF. You may be able to find a really nice used receiver for

5. Frank_M

Answering my own question.... I just bought the new Onkyo TX-SR500 for $269 shipped from bestaudiovideo.com.

It looks like a really good piece for the price, with some good flexibility in terms of inputs.

Thanks for the advice, all!

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have the kenwood VR407, which is like the kenwod VR506 or something, they got a healthy nmber of inputs for the price (mine has 4 digital inputs)