Receivers with 1394 (Firewire)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by henning hoffmann, Apr 19, 2002.

1. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

At the following link, they show a prototype Pioneer DVD player outputing audio and video over a Firewire link to a receiver.
    Do you think this is pie-in-the-sky, or will we be seeing receivers and DVD players with Firewire links soon?
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ort-day-2.html
    Henning

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

The funny thing is, if you look closely, this supposedly advanced 1394 receiver was taking a signal from the DVD with the receiver set on "VCR - Stereo". My guess is that this was merely a non-functional mock up.

I'd guess that until everyone decides on a firewire standard, nothing much is gonna happen except for possibly a few company's that come out with proprietary units that only work with each other. Otherwise, I'd guess we are at least a few years off on seeing firewire implemented industry wide.

3. henning hoffmann

Just because the receiver was on a certain input doesn't mean that that input is used for 1394. Someone passing by just could have touched a button. And the caption says it was a working prototype. You're probably right about how long it'll take, but it would be nice to have just one wire coming out of my DVD player (besides power, of course).

Henning

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

1394 can support DVD-quality video, but not HD, so it's not likely that it will show up on many receivers because in a few years there will be HD sources (e.g., HD-DVD), and so the opportunity window for FireWire is small. The digital connection will probably be DVI instead.

5. henning hoffmann

Firewire DOES support HD quality, just compressed. DVI supports HD quality uncompressed.

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

7. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    To be honest I'm rather surprised that Firewire cannot support HD signals. From what I know of Firewire it's one of the fastest peer-to-peer digital connections out there. It's supposed to be faster then all versions of SCSI. Weird that it can't keep up with a HD signal.

- Mike

8. henning hoffmann

Yes, Firewire (aka 1394) supports HD signals compressed using MPEG2 (just like a DVD). A couple HD set top boxes announced for release later in the year have both Firewire and DVI outs. The Firewire output will have a compressed HD stream, the DVI will have an uncompressed HD stream.

Part of why some manufacturers don't want to support Firewire in their televisions is because it's more expensive than DVI. They'd have to include uncompression circuitry in the TV, which they would not have to do with DVI. DVI is cheaper.