What's new

Receivers which can apply DPLIIx on 6CH Direct Input (1 Viewer)

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I know that higher-end H/K receivers like 435, 635 and 7300 can apply Dolby ProLogic IIx to the 6 Channel Direct Input, making it possible to listen to 5.1 discs in 7.1. According to some specialized reviews this function gives very interesting results with SACD and DVD-A.
Does anyone know if there are any other receivers than the above mentioned H/Ks which can offer the same functionality?

Thanks!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I think poeple don't want to do it becasue it involves another AD/DA stage for that to happen, and totally renders SACD/DSD redundant

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Well I currently have my Stereo SACD/CD player connected to my AVR via an analogue connection and I always use DPLII while listening to CDs and stereo SACDs. Even if a double A/D D/A conversion is involved, the result is great.
So, since this works so well with stereo SACDs I don't see why it shouldn't work to use DPLIIx on 5.1 SACDs ...
Of course that many people wouldn't want to do this, it's a matter of personal taste and opinion and I don't really want to discuss this.
I just want to know if there are any mid-range receivers that could use DPLIIx on 6CH Direct In. I'm rather interested in models like Denon 3805 or higher, Marantz SR7500 or higher, Arcam AVR250 or higher. I don't really care about Yamaha or Pioneer because I would never buy these brands, no matter which features they offer.

Thanks again!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I think the Anthem AVM20/30 does this .. but you're getting into the 3~4 K range of processors

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Yeah, my AVM-20 will digitize the 6-ch input and then you can do what you want with it. You can probably find a used one for about $2k, just make sure to upgrade it to v2.20 for PLIIx. But the Anthem is only a pre/pro, so you will need seperate amps.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I have separate amps on all channels so this would not be a problem.
Still, I am quite surprised that H/K can make receivers with this feature for much less than $1000, while other mid-range products vendors don't offer this.
So it's either H/K or something like Anthem which is much more expensive ... :frowning:

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
um, I own a 435, which has most every feature that the 635 has and it can't do PLII on the 6 ch input...looks like you must be mistaken...

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I'm talking about DPLIIx (not DPLII) which is available only when you're running a 6.1/7.1 config.
Here is an excerpt from my AVR 430's owner's manual (this has been added to the manual only for the 'Software Version II' release and it only applies to the AVR430 with firmware upgrade):

'Dolby Pro Logic IIx is the latest extension of Dolby Pro Logic II technology that creates a discrete 6.1 and 7.1 sound field from matrix surround or two-channel
stereo sources in systems configured for surround back speakers. Both Movie and Music versions of Pro Logic IIx are available. These modes may also be applied to a six-channel source connected to the 8-Channel Direct Inputs so that the sound field is enhanced by adding back surround channels.'

Are you currently running in 7.1 ?

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
No need to apologize, it looks I was also wrong :b .
I have just contacted H/K support and they confirmed that this feature has been removed when they made AVR435 and AVR635 becaue 'It was found to be rarely used.'
So the H/K receivers which can offer this feature are AVR430, AVR630 (but both only with firmware upgrade to Software Release II !!!) and AVR7300.
So if I want to get a new receiver and keep this feature, my upgrade path looks kinda gloomy... :frowning: Seems like I'm stuck with my AVR430 forever (not really a problem for now since I absolutely love this receiver :D ).

Thanks again for all your replies!

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to check out the B&K Reference 50 Series II Pre-Amp. I think I read a review here on Home Theater Spot that indicates the B&K will do what you want.

Of course you will have to purchase a multi channel amplifier to go with the B&K reference 50 Series II if it will do what you are looking to do but that upgrade path will have it's advantages as well.

Enjoy!

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I have an upgraded Denon 5800 which someone showed an interest in purchasing. His concern was that DPL IIx was not included only DPL II. I have a 7.1 setup and am still waiting patiently for discrete software to catch up to the hardware we already have.

I called Denon who offerred it as a software upgrade to the 5803 but the tech told me that the effect (if you have the speakers connected) can be experience even better (in his opinion) in either DTS Neo 6 music/cinema and the THX Ultra 2 music/cinema processing.

He also felt that applying DSP modes to HIREZ music, (admitting here that he was a bit of a purist) was sacriligous but also said that in fact, at times, it turned out more intelligently than some of the 5.1 treatments that inexperienced audio engineers had used to massacre hertofore excellent 2ch music.

For 40 yrs at least we had either Mono or 2ch. I'm not putting down anyone's desire for a certain kind of processing, (you like what you like) but I do feel the manufacturers are having a tough time coming up with reasons or features that have real merit.

Unless you have a huge cd and or LP collection that you want to hear in multich all you can do after you buy a 7.1 receiver with all the dsp modes, is wait and pray that before you pass away some software will be created that will make us say, "Thats why I bought a 7.1 ch receiver and all those speakers." Don't even get me started on cables.

Sorry for the rant but I'm chomping at the bit for more DTS-ES Discrete (the only true 6.1)films like the re-release of Top-Gun. Now that was worth re-buying it for $11.00cdn.

Pwrwe M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks