Receivers w/HDCD HK v. NAD v. Rotel v. Arcam

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve & Karen, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for AV Receiver in the $800-1200 range, musically superior, preferably with HDCD...

HK 520
    NAD 752/762 (coming Sept)
    Rotel 1055
    Arcam?

...any opinions or other optiosn?

2. Bobbi D

Bobbi D Agent

I received my RSX-1055 a month ago and couldn't be happier with the choice.

I've only tried 1 HDCD disk, so I won't comment on it's performance in that area other than to say it did auto-detect the format.

Musically, I think the receiver is the most musical in the price range and by a substantial margin preferred it over the Denon 4803, B&K 307 and the Pioneer Elite.

I believe the ARCAM is also very good in music.

Definitely both are worthy of and extended audition.

3. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I have the HK 520 and love it. I checked out the Rotel and it is outstanding but out of my price range.

If you can get the Rotel I would consider it because I believe it has and RS 232 and the software can be updated.

Now I don't know if that means the surround format can be updated but if it can - then the Rotel may be worth it - if ya got the cash.

I don't know about the others.

Good Luck.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I was listening to Tool's "Lateralus" through my H/K 520 last night and was very impressed with it. I did not realize it was HDCD encoded until recently.

5. SeanMcV

SeanMcV Auditioning

I haven't heard the RSX-1055, but I bought the older 972 last summer, and I've been very happy with it. I'm using it to drive a set of Vandersteens, and when I first set it up, I was pleasantly surprised by how musical it is. It doesn't get as much out of the Vandersteens as the conrad-johnson/McCormack electronics did in my two channel music system, but it comes a lot closer than I expected it to. It looks like the 1055 adds support for the newer formats that my receiver doesn't provide. (Pro Logic II, dts ES, etc) Assuming that Rotel has been able to add this additional functionality without sacrificing sound quality, I would say it's definitely worth listening to.

I also considered the Arcam, and it's worth checking out. I found it comparable to the Rotel, and it just came down to personal preference.

6. Rodrigo Mansill

> NAD 752/762 (coming Sept)
    Interesting..... it would be the firsts HDCD enabled NAD receivers..... Where may I find more info about it?
    By the way, you can find more info in HDCD in http://www.hdcd.com

7. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

The new NAD receivers are probably not HDCD (the new DVD is)... only HDCD receivers I can find are the Rotel, HK and Kenwood Sovereign... don't know anything about the Kenwoods... leaning to Rotel.

-Steve

8. Rodrigo Mansill

Selected models from Marantz can do HDCD too!
    Current NAD Receivers use Crystal 24 bit DSP. (Upgrade it to 32 bit?) Anyway, both DSPs can do HDCD decoding.... if you show them how to do it [​IMG]
    The NAD C541i CD player can also decode HDCD (BB DAC/HDCD decoder) in the current line.
    Note to Denon: The AVR-5803 (as it's european equivalent) has the SAME Analog Devices DSP family used in the Kenwood Sovereign family.... so, it would be a nice update to include HDCD decoding in the receiver.... It would make it PERFECT.