Receivers w/ auto video switching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matthew_bieschk, Apr 22, 2002.

1. matthew_bieschk

matthew_bieschk Auditioning

I'm looking for a relatively-inexpensive A/V receiver that will automatically switch between video components that have either S-video or composite inputs. I'd like to be able to run a singe S-video cable from the receiver into the TV and let the receiver do all the switching for me. Any recommendations???

2. Ed O

Ed O Agent

I think what you're looking for is video "converting" (for lack of a better term), not "switching".
    Switching is selecting a video and audio source through your receiver, not converting from one signal type to another. Switching is useful when your TV doesn't have enough video inputs for your video sources.
    I believe the Onkyo TXDS696 actually converts from composite to S-Video.
    Other forum members have used these products:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=180-141
    Note; No extra cables are needed with this product.
    Here’s Radio Shacks version (what I use on my VCR) more expensive, too:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1238
    more expensive and I need an extra S-video Cable.
    Ed

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Do you notice any picture quality loss using that converter?

Ken

4. Ed O

Ed O Agent

I rarely use the VCR anymore AND it's old, so I can't really comment on picture quality. It's been a long time since I've played a tape. Not what you wanted to hear I know, but I did want ot respond, sorry. Perhaps other members have made some picture quality comparisons.

Ed

5. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I just bought the the composite to s-video converter from partsexpress.com and I hooked it up to my VCR (which I barely use) and my digital cable box. I think there is a very slight picture quality loss, but it might just be my imagination. i did notice that I had to lower the color because there was some slight color bleeding.

but for 5 dollars the converter works well.

Ken

6. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

I use the parts express converter for my cable box, but the only time I use it is during storms when my DirecTV is out. For the price it works great.

7. Mark__T

Mark__T Agent

Switching is selecting a video and audio source through your receiver, not converting from one signal type to another. Switching is useful when your TV doesn't have enough video inputs for your video sources.

Ed

Are you saying that it is better to run your components through the TV than the A/V receiver if you have the inputs for it? Is there a big difference in sound and picture quality running through the TV rather than the A/V receiver?