Receivers that upconvert

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JGiampa, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JGiampa

JGiampa Stunt Coordinator

I am going to use my XBOX 360 as my dvd player until the PS3 comes out. If I were to purchase a new receiver that upconverts video to 1080i (thinking about the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi or VSX-82TXs) would this upconversion give similar results in comparison to buying an upconverting DVD player?

I am also looking at a few Denon products but I can't figure out if they upconvert the signals or just convert them.

Thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes it might be similar, but I don't know what kind of quality processing it would be. It is likely to be pretty lackluster. There are some very good units that do excellent video processing, such as the Anthem D2, but that contains essentially a fully-featured video processor integrated in the unit. It's not likely that a run of the mill receiver will come anywhere near that kind of processing capability in terms of video processing.

3. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Generally, "upconverting" DVD players will yield better results than the ones integrated into receivers, and this is mostly because of the highly integrated nature of such products.

The Denon AVR-4306 also does HD upconversion through its HDMI switcher. And IIRC, the new AVR-5805MKii will do it too. However, the model in between (AVR-4806) does not do HD upconversion; it is an older model.

You can get a Denon DVD-1930CI (the replacement for the DVD-1920) that has HD upconversion for $349 MSRP. The old '1920 was one of the best values out there in terms of features and quality.

Good luck!

4. JGiampa

JGiampa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tips guys. Im going to check out those receivers as well.

I was also thinking getting a receiver that upconverts could also be useful if you run your cable through it so that all your channels not just the HD ones are upconverted as well right?