1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Receivers That Have Spade Speaker Connections?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by William Laughner, Sep 22, 2003.

1. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

I bought a pair of Image 4T towers from DMC-Electronics and a pair of bi-wired Better Cables speaker cables with spades. I am now on a receiver hunt. I was going to get a yamaha receiver from 6ave.com but after 2 weeks of waiting & a million excuses from 6ave.com I canceled the order.

Now I am on a search for a receiver that has speaker connections that can handle the spade of my speaker cable.

I have been looking at the Denon 1603 or 1604 & the HK 225. Can anyone tell me if any of these receivers can handle the spade connection? Or reccomend a decent budget receiver than can?

Thanks

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Any receiver or amp with 5 way binding posts can handle spade terminations. However, you have to take into consideration the size of the spade and how much space there is between the binding posts.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The cables should not dictate the receiver. That is the wrong way to go about this decision.

Having said that, what Dan said is correct - most decent receivers have binding posts, better ones will usually have 5-way.

Marantz must have something against spades, because their binding posts are made not to accept them, only bananas or bare wire. I prefer bananas.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Sony, Pioneer, and Denon all have binding posts that are not quite 5-way. They have plastic wire guides at the bottom that preven you from using spades. Frustrating I know...

5. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

The Cables didnt dictate the receiver...until I spent more on the cables than the receiver! [​IMG]

The part I left out of the original post was last wednesday I ordered the Denon AVR483 because a rep at 6ave.com told me it was "exactly the same" as the 1603. Well...maybe he was just completely misinformed...but that was wrong. I received the AVR483 today and found that it is nothing like the 1603.

I got my speakers back in the first week of september and havent been able to listen to anything on them because of this entire receiver fiasco and it is getting a little ridiculous. I am tired, upset, & confused over the whole ordeal. I can't believe this all started with me just wanting to listen to music on some nice speakers in my home office. [​IMG]

I think I may just get the refurb HK225 from ecost but the 55 watts per channel doesn't seem like very much power. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Also, thanks for the replys.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

My Bryston 4bst also has guides around the posts.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hmm, maybe it’s time to re-name those things “4-way binding posts." [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

11. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

As a connector, spades are fine but the problem with spades is that you can never really relax as accidental shorts are always a possibility. Many receivers have a collar around the binding post that discourage the use of spades. I have heard of people prying this collar off but I would take the cue from the receiver mfg. and not make this connection. Why not modify your wires terminations to bananas? This is super easy to do and most people agree that banana connections are as good as spades. If you decide to go ahead with the spades, I advise you to make fairly frequent inspections for tightness and clearence.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John