What's new

Receivers that can drive 4 ohm speakers (1 Viewer)

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
Any opinions on what 6.1 or 7.1 surround receivers under $1500 that can easily drive 4 ohm speakers (for example, M&K speakers)?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Jorossy,
From what I was able to find, there are not many that are rated for output into a 4 ohm nominal load. I am currently running a Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX receiver and Polk Audio Lsi series speakers, which are 4 ohm nominal. Although I really like the receiver it does run a lot hotter now than it did when I had my Polk RT (8 ohm)speakers hooked up.
So it is time to upgrade, but I'm going to go with seperates instead of a receiver this time around.
Here's a link that might help a little bit.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=93089

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Rated... no... but the Outlaw 1050 is designed to operate a 4 Ohm load. I have several friends that are running Magnepans with 1050's with no problems.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jorossy: Like the others, I don't believe you'll find any receivers that can easily drive 4 ohm loads. The lower the impedence load, the closer you are getting to a dead short. :angry:
Still, depending on how well a receiver deals with the heat buildup (that lower impedence speakers cause), many models can do the job. Look for models that advertise multiple discrete output devices (for more surface cooling area)and large, open heat sinks (an internal temperature control fan won't hurt either.) Be sure that whatever you buy has plenty of ventilation, once you have it in it's resting place. Don't stack anything on top of it. Finally, pay attention to how hot the unit runs. You can always have some type of external fan blow on it if necessary.
Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

cutlera

Auditioning
my onkyo 898 has a 4 ohm setting and drives my Def Tech's fine, even at an 85db reference.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was given a NAD T761 to use when i was trying out Magnaplanars. drove them just fine, but did run warm.
I'm trying out another 761 with some Ascend Acoustics (also 4 ohm) and it seems to do the job just fine.
it says in the manual that 4 ohm speakers aren't a problem.

btw, i'm also using a HK520 that also drives the Ascends without any problems, although the sound from the NAD i9s just so much better.

Sean Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Why not use a less expensive receiver as a pre/pro and buy seperate amplifiers? I've never believed in mega buck receivers.

Something like the new Sony DA4ES would make a very flexible pre/pro and leave enough money for a seperate amp. I think this would produce better quality sound than a similarly priced reciever. Just another option to consider.

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, you would be better off using/getting a really good pre-pro and less expensive amps.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Paul--just how much better sounding is the NAD T761 then the H/K 520? I have a 520 and I think it sounds SUPERB for both music and HT. To me it does have a warm sound but it's the only warm sounding receiver I've listened to that doesn't sacrifice any type of detail--it sounds warm and detailed which is hard to beat in my book. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a refurbished NAD T761 from YAWAonline for $591. Can you tell me what your impressions are--including home theater use? My listening habits are 50/50 music & HT.$591 is a bit pricey for my budget--especially for a refurbished "last generation"(no PLII,DTS NEO 6 & so on)receiver.I realize this is very subjective but I would really appreciate any information you could give me. Thanks Paul :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
i was looking at the refurbs there too and contemplating a purchase this week, but i may just wait for the 752.

if i had never heard the NAD, i wouldn't have much to complain about the HK (sound-wise). i would probably be quite satisfied.

in addition there are several things about the NAD i really don't like (the ergonomics of the remote, the need for a monitor to get into the menu...)
as for sound quality the best way i could describe the difference between the two would be to make an analogy to a really good rptv i had.
when i used to try to tweak the convergence i could usually get it pretty close, but never perfect. there always seemed to be the barest little bit of color fringing.
when i went to watch a movie tho, that imperfection was never really enough to take me out of the movie. frequently i was very satisfied with the picture.
that would be the sound on the HK.
switching over to the NAD, all of a sudden it seems like the convergence is spot-on perfect, no little color fringe to soften, color, or impact the picture at all.
the sound is just crystal clear. sounds mixed to the foreground and background of a scene remain distinct and feel more spatially appropriate.
in addition, the dynamics seem much more natural ( although they may have been compressed in the settings. i can't acsess the menu to tell for sure) in any case, i find it much easier and enjoyable to listen to.
another anaolgy would be the difference between a casette tape and a cd.
if you have a good pre-recorded cassette and haven't been exposed to cd quality sound, you may be quite satisfied, but once you hear a cd and go back, you can better discern the deficiencies of the analog tape.

the sound is sufficently superior that i will probably go with one & put up with the crappy remote, higher cost, and very awkward menu acsess.
not entirely happy about it, but in the end, the sound is the whole reason we are investing time and money in the first place, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks