Receivers stable with 4 ohm mains, or with pre outs for separate power amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mattak, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to purchase a 5.1 or 6.1 receiver. My mains are 4ohm - what are some 4 ohm stable receivers in the $300-400 range? I've heard the Onkyo 602 is a decent deal (seen for $300 shipped), but I'm not sure of it's stability at 4 ohms.

If I can't find a 4 ohm stable receiver in this price range I have a couple Crown DC300A's that operate fine at 4 ohm, so what amps in this range have pre-outs for external amps?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What speakers?

Dollar for dollar, an amp/amps is/are the way to go, IMO. Few receivers will like 4 Ohm loads, but most will handle it, depending on how loud you are looking for. If you aren't looking for the latest bells and whistles, last year's models might work at a lower price and used will net you a much better receiver at that price point.

3. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

I've got the pioneer 1014 running 4 ohm main seakers and a 4 ohm center channel. When I get the chance I like to really crank it up and so far I've never had any problems with it.
    When I was looking for a receiver, a salesman at a real stereo store said that any receiver with a decent amp section would have to problem with 4 ohms, oh yeah and the 1014 has pre-outs

4. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

John: I built a pair of these. They sound great off my crown amps, but I'm looking for a 5.1 receiver for HT.

5. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Any other opinions? The 1014 looks nice, but a bit pricey :

6. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I recommend that you read this article:

Audiohoilcs FAQ on 4 Ohm Speakers

I have the NAD 743, which is a solid performer with a nice feature set that is capable of effortlessly driving 4-ohm speakers. However, it would require scrounging an extra hundred bucks or so for your budget. Also, keep in mind that, at least in the past, Onkyos (as well as several other brands) have often fallen very short of the advertised power specs.

7. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what I should be getting out of that article, it seems to be stuff I'm aware of.

Again, I have power amps that work fine @ 4ohms, so I'm not too concerned about the receiver being able to drive 4 ohm speakers as long as it has pre-outs that I can hook up to my existing power amp(s). This is where I would like recommendations, since I can't often find if certain amps have pre-outs.

8. DarrylM

Your first question was "what are some 4 ohm stable receivers in the $300-400 range?"

To which someone responded, "a salesman at a real stereo store said that any receiver with a decent amp section would have [no] problem with 4 ohms."

The article warns against the use of lower-end or mid-fi receivers with 4-ohm speakers, particularly if your speakers have low a sensitivity (or if you have a larger room, for that matter). This is exactly the category you're looking at in the $300 to $400 range.

I am not aware of any genuinely 4-ohm-stable receivers in your price range (though the 743 I suggested comes about as close as you'll get), and even Onkyos and Denons will suggest a minimum nominal impedance of 6 ohms.

And, even if you're not worried about 4-ohm stable receivers, most receivers with pre-outs start at around $400 anyway (the 743 I recommended also has pre-outs).

9. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I see, thanks for clarifying. I guess my thoughts are that a $400 unit isn't "low-end," but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it is.

The onkyo 602 seems to have a L/R pre-out, but it was called "Zone 2 Line Out" and I wasn't sure what that meant. Main L/R pre-out is all I'd need right now, but I guess having pre-outs for all channels might be handy in the future, as the pioneer has.

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

most receiver's "zone2 line out" only pass 2-channel analog input source material; no digi processing possible.

but there are several receiver's with proper pre-outs in that price range. you could probably get a really good deal on a nicer, but last-year's-model, receiver that would suffice, too. many people use receivers as pre/pros.

11. DarrylM

To be sure, $300 to $400 is certainly a lot of money to spend on anything; however, surprisingly enough, 6.1 receivers start out at about $200 and go up to around $5,000-$6,000.