What's new

Receivers recommendations in the $650-1000 range (1 Viewer)

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
Leo

Amps can not run at 100% efficiency so with 2 channel driven you have 2X85 Watt or 170 W. The amps (transistors) are probably comsuming in the order of 450-500 watts. Now you have a DSP or several DSP that probably draws around 40 watts. Next your tuner is on, so the local oscillator and circuitry draws around 10 watts. Your pre-amp draws 10-20 watts. Plus I'am sure other things like fans, power supply inefficiencies. So 694 watts is very close to what I would think is normal for an AVR. Power supply weakness is the main reasons AVR can't make their power claims.

By the way the best sounding AVR you have listed is the Marantz SR-8200 IMHO. Just went throught the shopping process. Went with seperates. Others you might want to consider: Rotel RSX-972 or 1065 if price allows. ARCAM they have the new AVR200 out but could not find one, maybe you'll have better luck in NYC. I did listen to the AVR100 which sounded great but very few features. Note: My bais was unit had to play great two channel music as well as provide HT capabilities

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks