What's new

Receivers - need input (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I am currently looking to upgrade my receiver from a Kenwood VR6060 to something a bit better. My budget is about $750, and I am mostly considering refurbished and used units as I have had good experience with them in the past.

I want a receiver with some muscle, at least 110 watts per channel. I don’t really need HDMI, but HD capable component switching would be good, but no crucial. I would actually consider an older unit that cannot switch HD sources as I have no problem running video inputs directly to the TV.

I do want a unit that can handle music well. I listen to music as much, if not more than I watch television and movies. I like some of the Pro Logic II modes on my current receiver, and the lack of PL II has kept me away from some older units. Perhaps a better receiver with regular PL might compensate for the lack of the newer decoding? I’m sure there might be some older models out there I don’t know about that are great versatile receivers.

Right not I have my search narrowed down to the Marantz SR 8500 and the Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi. I was looking at the Onkyo SR804, but have read about some hum issues. I used to have an Onkyo stereo receiver and sounded awesome. Anyway, if you guys could give me some input on the two receivers I am considering and any other in that range that I might have missed I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Look at the Denon 2307Ci

I believe it fits all your requirements and more

I wouldn't cross HDMI off your list - there are more and more devices with this connection type

My first Denon 1601 is going on 7 yrs old - no troubles at all
I have had the 2307 for the last 9 months - very solid, good setup, lots of power for my 16' x 8' x7' room, which opens to more basement room as well

Check out the specs on it
Also, the MSRP on the Denon site is WAY high - check other sources for an accurate price

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you can do without HDMI audio processing then I would consider the Emotiva LPA-1/LMC-1 combo if you can stretch your budget a bit... the amp is a beast and the processing is top notch as well... it's a GREAT deal to get into seperates... it also offers HDMI switching via an outboard HDMI switch that is controlled by the processor, so you can use it for HDMI video switching on down the road if you need to.

If you don't want to go into seperated and go as far upscale in the receiver market as possible w/out HDMI then look at the Marantz 8500 that accessories4less.com have for $699. I'm sure you could find some of the older Pioneer Elites like the 53TX, 54TX, 55TXi, and 56TXi or maybe even something like a 47TX or 49TXi... these are all fairly old and will require some searching.

Thanks for the response. I read up on the Emotiva combo, very interesting. Does anyone here have any experience with the combo?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There's a very long threat over at AVS concerning the Emotiva combo... it's definitely worth a skim or a deep read if it's a route you're interested in going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks