Receivers = Firestarters? Denon, Technics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter L, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Peter L

Peter L Extra

HI all, I would like some true stories from people out there that had a receiver on fire from excessive use. I heard Denons get pretty hot, and also heard Technics are sure firestarters. Need some input please to help me decide.

PS- anyone use a CPU fan mount on the receivers via AC adapter?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I have a Technics DA-10 amp and it get's REALLY warm, but as soon as the fan comes on, it cool right down. The only problem is that the fan only comes on at a certain volume, usually only during movies or loud listening. I was thinking of changing the wiring on the internal fan so that it comes on when the amp is turned on, but not too sure how to do that. any suggestions??

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Hey Peter, I have a denon 1602 & playing it hard (hard for me is anything -10 & up [​IMG] ) for a few hours tends to warm it up. But not to any point of overheating. I dont know if this model has an internal fan or not. I even have it in a closed entertainment stand with the next shelf about 8 inches above it. So I wouldnt be too worried about a fire, unless the unit was faulty.

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

If your worried about heat go down to your local radio shack they sell or can order 4" 120 volt brushless fans that work great. I use one on my recever and even at high vol for long perouds it it barley gets hot. The other thing good about it you can put a dimmer type switch on it to controll the fans speed if you wont,thats how I have mine set up.[​IMG]

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I've pretty well cranked my Denon 5800 with DVD-A discs that use all the speakers a lot and haven't even made it overly warm yet.

Patrick

6. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Peter,

stories about fire were spread few times by sales folks as a way to switch you from one brand to another. In US a receiver prone to start fire would end up as nice class-action suit, with some extraorbitant legal fees. This is classic case of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubts).

If you are afraid, check consumer reports, or your insurance agency if they have a record of such cases.

Follow manufacturer guidelines about spacing and ventillation - and enjoy the sound. Many of us run receivers in much smaller space than recommended; no smoke so far :).

Have fun,

_zjt