Receivers and picture in picture problems

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ToddJ, Apr 21, 2004.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I recently bought a 50" Hitachi LCD projection TV. On my old TV, I had to hook up all my individual components (DVD player, VCR, Tivo, etc) to the receiver since there was only one input on my TV. However, now since I bought a new TV, I thought I would be able to hook up all my components to the TV and still play them through my receiver. However, there are a few problems. One, the DVD player needs to be hooked up via optical cable which causes the second problem. If I switch between television inputs, the sound for the dvd is still playing (since there is no digital input on the TV.) I could just use the receiver for DVDs, however, I want to use it for regular television as well(especially since regular television looks like crap since I don't have HD or satellite.) Has anyone figured out a way around this or is there something I am doing wrong?

2. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

Doesn't anyone else have this problem? I would think it would be a common one...Maybe I need to post this in another section too

3. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

Could you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure I understand the problem. If you have the DVD selected on the receiver, it will activate the DVD optical input and you will get sound from the DVD. If you have TV selected, aren't you switching to the TV audio input? Therefore the DVD would stop sounding I would think.

It sounds like you're saying that since you have no optical coming in from the TV, that the receiver is still playing the optical signal that IS coming in (DVD). My receiver has an option to switch between analog and digital inputs. Perhaps you can switch to analog for the TV and run the analog sound cables from the TV to the receiver.

4. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I want everything to be automatic....my tv has an output that goes to the receiver. So I have everything going into the TV, and I switch inputs on the TV, the sound changes too. However, since I have a digital output from the DVD player to the receiver (and not to the TV), then it still is playing that sound. So, if I want to use the picture in picture properly (it still plays the sound from the DVD player.) does that make sense? it is kinda hard to explain. It would probably work okay if I just used the picture in picture for regular television and not DVDs. Is there any time of DVD player that automatically switches off the digital output?

5. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Let me see if I have this straight. You want to use the PIP feature for watching DVDs and broadcast TV? But you are still hearing the soundtrack from the dvd when you actually want to hear the audio for the tv program. Is this correct?

Tod

6. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

yes, that is correct

7. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Todd

Just run your l/r audio out to the receivers tv/sat input. Then just select TV/SAT when watching TV.

Here is how I have mine setup. DVD video to TV, Coax audio to receiver. Cable composite video to tv, analog audio to receiver TV/SAT. TV optical audio out to receiver optical in, assigned to AUX. So when I switch to AUX on the receiver I get the audio from OTA broadcast tv and HD programs.

I don't use PIP and I don't even think mine will allow me to use any of the video inputs for PIP.

Todd, I hope this helps.

Tod