What's new

Receivers and Active EQ (1 Viewer)

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

We recently bought an ONKYO TX-SR701 receiver and a Pioneer DV-667As for my dad who has a pair of BOSE 901VI. Dad would like to use the 901s as the front surround channels, unfortunately the speaker's active EQ is proving to be a challenge to insert between the signal path.

At the moment, we have to use our old ONKYO M504 power amp with the receiver's front pre-outs, which wastes both the receiver's internal amps and the power amp's P304 pre amp.

We could also use the DVD player's built in surround decoder with the receiver's multi-channel inputs, but we'd rather use the receiver's better (?) decoders.

Selling the 901s is not an option... You know how fanatical BOSE owners can be :D

There must be a way around this problem, has anyone found a solution he'd/she'd like to share?

TIA :)

Isaac

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
If the receiver doesn't have a pre-out/main-in loop (which I don't believe that it does) and if you can't make use of a tape monitor loop (which you can't with surround sound), then the only option you have is the separate amp.

As I'm sure that you know, doing without the eq should not be a consideration. So, my opinion is that you are already doing what you must and that if the 901's must stay, you don't really have any options...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You can’t use a tape loop with Dolby Digital, since the former is an analog signal path, and the latter is digital.

Functionally, there’s nothing wrong with the set-up you have now. I wouldn't be worried about "wasting" amplifier channels anymore than "wasting" unused inputs, or any other unused features (like tone controls, music surround modes, etc.). If that’s not satisfactory, I suggest trading the receiver for one that has both pre-outs and main-ins for the front channels. That would allow you to patch in the EQ and not “waste” any amplifier channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided to use the inbuilt decoder of the player and the old M504 will be used to power 1 or possibly 2 DIY subwoofers.

Best regards :)

Isaac

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks