Receiveritis is cured!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob C, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Bob C

Bob C Extra

Well, after lots of information overload, and some great advice by everyone here, I purchased a receiver yesterday. I went with the Integra 5.4. Had it narrowed down to the Denon 1804, Marantz SR5400, and this Integra 5.4. All three had excellent sound with both dvd's and music, but the deciding factors were, ease of use, ease of setup, and customer service. After deciding against the Denon, I auditioned the Integra, (again,lol), and then went next door to abuse the Marantz. The store was busy, lots of people, lots of salesmen, but I couldnt get any assistance for like 20 minutes. In the meantime, I played with the Marantz, and was seriously considering it over the Integra, when, while helping someone else, a salesman butted into my conversation and proceeded to tell me how Integra was crap, so was Denon, and I would be sorry if I purchased anything but the Marantz, and then he walked off and continued with the other customer! I know, a $600 receiver wont make him rich, but in my opinion, this was BS. I feel that all three of these particular models, were well matched in all areas, and it was more a personal preference in the end. But this guy lost a sale for his store, and Marantz, just because of his big mouth. Anyway, I'm happy with the Integra, sounds great, and was SIMPLE to set up, and the remote doesnt take a degree to figure out. Thanks for all your help. Bob.

2. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

I'm glad you've chosen a receiver that will make you happy [​IMG] ... I was starting to wonder what had happened to you.

3. Bob C

Bob C Extra

I took your great advice, Jeff. Made a pros/cons list and figured out what I had to have vs. extras, and finally chose! I appreciate everyone's help here and in other forums. Bob.

4. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Yeah, I love when salespeople do that. About a month after I bought my Elite 45TX, a salesguy in a different HT store starting badmouthing the Elite's amps. Dang near kicked him in his jimmy for popping off like that...

5. Bob C

Bob C Extra

It is stupid. Why badmouth other equipment? Your customer may just think your an a$$, and buy all his gear somewhere else. Good customer service is why people still buy offline, if you don't have that, why should someone spend money in your store?

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Yes, congrats on picking up an excellent receiver. You did right by walking away from the salesperson's advice. I've had salespeople tell me that such and such was so superior to others, then, when they no longer carry that line, bad mouth the same equipment they once lauded.

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

Congrats on your purchase.

you know i can kind of understand the big chain stores salemen for being like that...but even happens at the high end stores...

in NYC, i have been to (and some of the brands they carry):

Sound by Singer (Krell, BAT, CJ, JM Labs, Thiel, Audio Physics, Avalon, Arcam, NAD)

Lyric Hifi (Classe, Levinson, McIntosh, B&W, Revel, Burmester, Rotel)

Innovative Audio Video (Levinson, BAT, B&W, Rotel, Thiel, Naim, Runco, Linn, Arcam, Sonus Faber)

In Living Stereo (Triangle, Rega, McCormack, Roksan, Creek, Totem, Pathos, Avalon)

Stereo Exchange (McIntosh, Classe, B&W, Meridian, Arcam, Runco, Infinity, Adcom, Rotel)

Harvey's (Kef, Lexicon, McIntosh, NAD, Adcom, Krell, Martin Logan, Sonus Faber, Runco)

Park Avenue Audio (NAD, Quad, McCormack, Rogue)

The place in Chinatown on Bowery, I can't remember the name, something audio video, they don't have much, but they do have Kef, Anthem and NAD

At all of these places,I have heard salemen just bad mouthed other brands. Harvey's and Park Avenue Audio are so bad on so many levels that I won't even go there.

Its funny, all of these salesmen, as soon as you don't do exactly what they want, almost always say something like "well, what do I know, I have been doing nothing but listening to and buying and selling audio equipment for over 20 years"...funny, I would like to put them all in a room together from different stores and let them argue which brands are the best...

Rich

8. Bob C

Bob C Extra

It would be fun to watch a cage match among salesmen, wouldnt it! I could almost forgive this attitude if it was a big chain store, chalk it up to ignorance, but it was a high end audio place. I'm not a rich guy, so I don't expect the red carpet treatment, but, hell, don't be a damn snob! Last time I checked, my Franklins spend the same as Bill Gates's.

9. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

yeah, i dont get it...

i walked into a store once, and I asked how well do McCormack amps mate with B&W speakers..the reply was "why would you want to put such a good amp with those speakers?"

Rich

10. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Then there's the flip side. I had a salesman bad mouth Bose, and they actually sold Bose at the store!!! That was kinda funny. He won my trust right away. [​IMG]

- Mike

11. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Funny, Marantz dealer badmouthing Denon... Didn't he realize they are the same company now?

12. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Stores with commissioned salespeople pay higher "spiffs" on certain brands. A skeptical person would assume that's why they are trying to steer you to specific brands...

13. Ben Stern

Ben Stern Stunt Coordinator

Rich Wenzel's story is similar to mine. When I was looking to upgrade, in the late 1990's, I went to all of the stores he did. The attitudes of the people in these places was unbelievable. Out of disgust, I went on line and discovered sites such as this one. By the way Rich, the place on the Bowery is called Audio Video Center.