Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom_fran, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Tom_fran

Tom_fran Auditioning

Hello,

I just bought a Sony STR-DE895 home theater receiver to add to my 64 inch tv. I have a question about how to connect the video from my dvd player. I am using composite video. When I first hooked everything up I noticed that the receiver had a composite video in and then a monitor out. Well I ran the composite video out from my dvd player into the video in on the receiver and then ran cables from the monitor out into my tv. To me it seemed that all of a sudden the video was a little hazy and fuzzy while watching my dvds. Now I am running the cable straight from the dvd to inputs on the tv, still composite. The picture seems sharp again. Exactly what is the video in and then monitor out on a receiver for? I am new to all this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tom

2. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Did you use component video cables for the monitor out as well as for the video in? The Sony is supposed to have 80 mhz of component video bandwidth which is more than enough to give you a great picture. Many other receivers in the STR-DE895 price range have less than 30 mhz of video bandwidth.

3. Tom_fran

Tom_fran Auditioning

Yes I did use component video cables from the monitor out. I assume they are decent cables, I think they were about 50 dollars each for the 6 foot cables.

Tom

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you don't have any other component video devices, there is no reason to loop the video through the receiver. Go directly to the set.

Let's get terms straight first: composite video is a single RCA carrying the entire signal. Component video is 3 separate RCAs, each carrying separate components of the video signal. Component is much higher quality that composite. If your TV and DVD both have component, then that is what you should use.

See the Basics area and check out the "Primer for newcomers" thread for more info.