Receiver X Speakers ??? Which one should I spend more money?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fabio Schutz, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Fabio Schutz

Fabio Schutz Auditioning

Hi,
    I´m from Brazil, and new to HT.
    So I was thinking in which one should I spend more money: in Receiver or in Speakers; I mean, for example:
    - buy a DENON 3802 and PARADIGM Performance (Titan, Aton, CC170)
    - or buy a DENON 1802 (maybe 2802) and PARADIGM Monitors
    Of course that I would take in consideration others receivers like ONKYO, MARANTZ and YAMAHA.
    What sounds better???
    Thanks!!! This Forum has helped me a lot.
    PS: Sorry for my english
    Fábio

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I would recommend listening to see what the receivers you are shopping for sound like. Take a look at PSB speakers, they are reasonably efficient, and so they make good use of amplifier power.

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Fabio,
    I would say spend more money on your speakers. They will continue to give you great use many years down the road whereas a receiver will most likely be outdated and inferior within a year. Personally I think they are worse than computers b/c at least you can upgrade computers. Upgradeable receivers are few and far between.
    And I can only give you My Opinion as to what "sounds better." I like Denon overall but each brand you listed is great. See if you can't listen to each (along with whatever speakers you decide on) and just trust your ears. Best of luck to you.
    Dan Hine
    Oh, and your English is GREAT compared to even some Americans! [​IMG]

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

If it were my choice, I'd buy the best speakers that I could afford. Receivers are typically upgraded more often than speakers because of the new encoding formats that come out (DD, DPL II, DTS, DTS EX, etc.). You may not be able to get the most out of your speakers at first (because of an inferior amp) but you will grow into them. You can always add an additional amp later when you have more money.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Fabio, I'd get the nicer speakers. In fact, I have Paradigm Monitor speakers. Speakers are the hardest part for HT, because you need so bleedin' many of them. Your system can't sound better than the speakers, anyway. It's relatively easy to upgrade your reciever/amp/pre...Go for the better speakers! Outra vez mi compadre!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

6. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Here is another vote for spending more on the speakers. When I started I had a sony str de-945 receiver and spent most of my money on my paradigm monitor 9's, cc center, mini monitors and adp's. Boy was that the right choice. With every technology change you will want to upgrade your receiver. Do yourself a favor and purchase the best speakers for your money.
    ------------------
    Have you seen my audio rack?

7. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

ditto what Tim and Dan said. my analogy is monitor and computer.
    There needs to be a balance somewhere, you wouldn't get a 24 inch widescreen sony monitor and a computer that that had a max resolution of 640x480. Same with your audio system, you wouldn't want to power 170 watt 4 ohm speakers with a 50 watt 8 ohm receiver and THD of 0.x
    Someday you can always retire your old computer to file server status or retire it to hand me down status... same with the receiver. you can always put it in a second room or give it to the kid going off to college.
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Fabio,
    Since you are looking at the Paradigm Performance and Monitor series I would go with the Monitor. As others have said you can keep your speakers and upgrade the reciever down the road. Though a problem with this is you will have grown acustom to the combo you had and introducing a new reciever may introduce a different sound from the new combination. I guess this can also be said if you do it the other way as well. The setup you are considering is just like the one I have already(Denon 1801 and Paradigm Mini Monitors(x2), CC-350). Setup works well together. As like other in this hobby the upgradeitis hit me again and I have recently added a Rotel RMB-1066 AMP to power the fronts and centre. What I am hearing now coming out of my speakers is amazing. Watch yourself as you are about to get yourself into an addiction that will grab hold and never let go. Enjoy.
    Kevin

9. Fabio Schutz

Fabio Schutz Auditioning

Wow guys, that was fast...
    So I think that I should spend more in speakers. Ok.
    But, like Kevin said, if I get later a power amplifier with my future receiver (DENON 1802, 2802, ONKYO 595, ...) (Of course, I would see if they have pre-outs). Like this would be better option than a more expensive receiver.
    Now the question is: Would a "litle" receiver + power (ROTEL, PARASOUND, ...) sound better than a "big" receiver??
    Thanks you all for the help!!
    Fábio

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I agree too. Although my post was not specifically about spending. Spend the money on the speakers, but don't spend the receiver money on features, if that means less power. In order to appreciate your speakers, buy as much power as you can afford, within reason. Don't go for more features over power, unless you absolutely must have those features. So avoid gadgets and toys like too many DSP's.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 19, 2001 at 09:44 PM]

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Fabio, make sure your new reciever has pre-outs for adding amps later, if you want to. I hope the recievers there all have 5.1 inputs, that might prove useful later too? I'd make sacrifices on the reciever to get bigger Monitors. I like the Mini-Monitors and the Monitors 7 & 11 the best. I like their small quick woofers. I would buy a budjet reciever to use for 1 to 2 years and expend the most dinero on speakers. I would not skrimp on the centre channel, get the 350/370. The centre channel is the most important speaker in HT.Furthermore I'd skrimp on the surround speakers to get bigger fronts, proably too.
    I think the Mini-Monitors are very sufficent for fronts for theatre. I think the 7's and 11's are a big plus for music listening, but having their bigger bulk is not necessary for theatre, me thinks. 4 Mini-Monitors and a CC370 would be nice. Use the ADP-170 dipoles surounds if your room acoustics are good for them, if you wish. The Mini-Monitors are such rugged little speakers! You can try to abuse them and have a hard time doing so. Have fun with your shopping!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    a little off topic, but i'm starting some research on Paradigm and was wondering where a good online store to buy was. cheaper = better! already looking for next summer's upgrade!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

13. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Thomas,
    Paradigm doesn't do online sales.
    Fabio,
    It depends upon what your budget is and what you would like to upgrade to in the future. If you want to go to separates, then, by all means, get something with preouts. This will eliminate the Onkyo TX-DS595 from consideration. You will also want to see what sort of amplifier you will be looking at. You have amplifiers ranging from monoblock to seven channels out there. If you buy a Denon AVR-1802 then you will not want to buy a five channel amplifier. If you decide on a Onkyo TX-DS696 you will not want a five channel amplifier. It is something to consider. You may also want to look at speakers from internet only companies, such as ACI, Swan Diva, nOrh, Legacy, Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, etc. and see if you can get a better deal than the ones down at your local store. Just something for you to cosider. Good luck with your future system!

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While I agree that getting the best speakers you can afford is important, your receiver is one of the most important pieces of equipment in your system. It will basically determine the sound you hear, and should not be lower quality at the expense of your speakers. As someone stated, there needs to be a ballance, based on your budget. Your receiver will be more likely to be upgraded, though if you pick the right one, you may keep it for a number of years. You may get a "decent" receiver now with great speakers, and relegate the receiver to a bedroom later, when you get a great receiver (or separates or whatever) down the road. Everything is a compromise, but if you choose carefully, you can avoid having to upgrade more often.
    Upgrading to keep up with features is not important, what is important is that you like the way your system sounds, IMO. I waited for DPL II, and I can't say that I am exactly blown away with it. Good yes, but not elightening. DPL II was one of the key features I was looking for, and now that I have it, I seldom use it.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

15. Fabio Schutz

Fabio Schutz Auditioning

Hi, I´m back for work now...
    As I´m seeing here, it would be better pick up the best speakers I can with a decent/good receiver. Probably I will get the monitors.
    But my other question is still without an answer. I asked if it worth get a good/decent receiver and a power (now or later), or it´s better get a better receiver???
    I ask that, because some people said to me that it´s better to have a good amplification.
    So, would have too much difference between a good/decent receiver + power and a "bigger" (DENON 3801, ONKYO 696, MARANTZ 7200) receiver + power???
    Thaks again.
    Fábio

16. Fabio Schutz

Fabio Schutz Auditioning

Anyone??

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The English is great. I always would recommend spending more money on the speakers than the receiver. If you are in HT long enough, after years, the speakers ultimately end up costing more than the receiver (in most cases) after the many upgrades to speakers and receivers. Keep in mind that great speakers will last a long time. Receivers come and go as t=newer technology comes along. Make sure you also factor in a good budget for interconnects/wiring also.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1

18. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

If I were in your place, I would focus on getting the best speakers I could afford, and make sure I get a receiver to which I could add external amplification later on. So, in my opinion, I would get a 'little' receiver now and add amps later (and make sure that my receiver allowed me to add amps, i.e., it had preamp outputs), than get a 'big' receiver.