Receiver with multi channel mono?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MilesH, Feb 11, 2002.

1. MilesH

MilesH Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know of a receiver that has multi channel mono for DVDs? If I play a 1.0 or 2.0 mono DVD, I would like sound to come from all the speakers. My apologies if this sounds too J6P-ish but I thought I would ask anyways.

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I know that my Onkyo 797 does have a mono movie mode, and you can play the 2.0 digital soures with PLII on the 797. I think the Onkyo 898 and 989 have this feature, not sure about the lower 696 though.

3. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

The SRS Labs Circle Surrround 5.1 mode on the new Marantz and Kenwoods may be worth looking into for I think that is what it does.

4. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey Auditioning

The Marantz 7200 (and maybe others) has a "6Ch Stereo" mode which sends sound direct to all speakers. It works with digital 2.0 inputs and analogue inputs, but not with digital 1.0 input.

With a mono source, all the speakers will output the same thing.

I like it for mono radio broadcasts, and it's sometimes good for CDs when several miles away from the optimum listening position.

5. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

SRS Circle Surround does not work with a mono source, but if your receiver has an adjustable DPL2 music mode, you could use the "center width" feature to spread the audio across the three front speakers.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Denon's have this feature