Receiver with HDMI compatibility

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
I'm looking for a receiver in the $250 to $350 price range that has an HDMI port. I want to run my progressive scan DVD player through this so I can get sound out to my surround sound speakers (and, based on Glen_B's suggestion, I think I'll be going with the Athena Audition C1.2 and B1.2 speakers - I've been reading good things about these which I will be purchasing at the same time.)

I've looked at some of the receivers that others have suggested on this forum but none of them say they have HDMI capability. Why? Is it because HDMI is dead and no longer supported? Or, is it because this is a standard port (similiar to the volume control) and that it's not worth mentioning?

I am certainly a newbie with this stuff and I'm not looking for any real high-end equipment. My TV has a HDMI input (Samsung HLP6163W) and, right now, my DVD player goes directly to it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mylan

Screenwriter
HDMI is not dead, far from it. I think the reason no receiver suggested claims to have HDMI is because you are not going to find one at your listed budget. Receivers with HDMI are going to start in the $700 to $800 range.

CTtim22

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim H
Thanks for the quick reply. That would explain it. I just don't know if I can spend that kind of money. I'm trying to keep my entire package around the $900 range. That's for everything - receiver, sub and speakers.

What will I lose if I don't go the HDMI route? I suppose I can get a different DVD player that will work with the new receiver without the HDMI capabilities.

mylan

Screenwriter
HDMi switching in the receiver is a just a convienence feature that will reduce the number of button pushes on a remote control, it is not necessary. I have an old Yamaha and I run HDMI straight from the DVD player to the tv. and it works fine.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
A Panasonic XR57 runs about $300, and has HDMI input for getting audio to the receiver and video out to the display. Plus it sounds really good. Bonus: If you have a 5.1 system, it'll automatically use two amps to power the front L/R channels

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay