Receiver with Component Switching?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Hiter, May 5, 2002.

1. Chris Hiter

Chris Hiter Stunt Coordinator

I just got some HTD level three speakers and I am looking to upgrade my receiver. I was wondering if there is a good receiver out there with component switching, preferrably 3 inputs, to be had for around $500? I also would need atleast 3 digital inputs. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks for all the help!

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

Nice speakers chris. You might wanna check out the yamaha htr-5560/rx-v630. Component switching, 6.1 discrete, 75wpc, a/b switching for mains, and all channel preouts.

3. Chris Hiter

I tried to look that up on Pricescan but couldn't find it. Any ideas where to get it at a good price and some links for some more info

4. Jason Wilcox

http://www.shopsunshine.com/Item.asp...em_Id=HTR-5560
    great price, but I'm not sure if that's an authorized dealer. (for warranty purposes)
    edit: actually, it's an amazing price.....but they are not listed as an authorized dealer on yamaha's website....sooo, you can gamble on yamaha's great quality control and this websites reputability, or pay $150 more somewhere else.

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Onkyo Sr600, if you can find it - some circuit city's have it.

$450, component switching, 6.1, 3 optical digital inputs, 1 coaxial digital input, 80wx6.

-ELmO

6. Chris Hiter

That Yamaha is looking very tempting. Has anyone else had any luck with this receiver. Also, do you think the sound is going to be improved over my Pioneer 509S. I noticed the 6.1 sounds. Does this add a whole seperate channel or does it take from both rears and direct it to the center rear?

7. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I am also looking at this Yamaha unit. I'm hoping somebody can tell me a little more about the component switching aspect. Will S-Video/composite sources connected to the receiver output trough the component connections? If not, doesn't this defeat the purpose of component switching as I will still have to switch the TV's input selection for VCR/LD/SAT?

Convincing my wife that I need a receiver with all the new sound formats would be so much easier if it ALSO helps make it easier for her to operate the system.

Thanks!

C

8. Jason Wilcox

I'm pretty sure that the yamaha won't convert an s-video signal to component. The point of the component switching is if you need to use multiple component video sources (dvd, HD cable/sat, xbox)

Also, the yamaha can be used for matrixed 6.1 and discrete (add another speaker) 6.1.

9. Chris Hiter

I went to audio review to check this out and there were only two reviews. They both loved it but does anyone else have anymore reviews or places to get them?

10. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

I have the HTR-5550 same as the HTR-5560 except no pre-outs, no B speakers, no discrete 6.1 (has matrix 6.1) and no Input on the front of the unit. The rest is the same.

11. Chris Hiter

ElMalloc:

I found the SR600 at my local Circuit City and I talked to one of the guys and he said he could get it for me for around $450. Is this a good price?

12. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Chris Brunner: Unfortunately, there are only a few receivers that will upconvert composite and s-video into component:
    Denon AVR-5803
    Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX
    Kenwood Sovereign VR-5090, VR-5700, VR-5900, VR-6090
    Chris Hiter: You can get it through Onecall for $449.10 with free shipping and probably won't have to pay tax.
    http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_15058.htm

13. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

One other think that impressed me about the HTR/5550. If you use the FM receiver I still do and this unit has an outstanding clear and sensitive FM tuner. I replaced my older Pioneer which I purchased over many other companies because the FM receiver was extremely good but the HTR/5550 outclassed my older Pioneer.

14. Chris Hiter

I think I have narrowed it down to the Onkyo and Yamaha. Has anyone heard both or read reviews of side by side comparisons? I was just wondering if it is worth the extra $100 to go ahead and get the Onkyo. I am tired of this trap of upgrading every year and want to get something to keep!

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Chris H: If your HDTV has three component inputs, I'd go direct with each unit rather than switching them into one of the TVs inputs. Why? Because odds are that each of the three units will look differently from each other and if you switch them into only one of your TVs component inputs, you will only be able to make your image perfect for one of those three components. If you go directly into three different inputs on your HDTV, you will be able to adjust each input so that that each specific image will look perfect. Hope that makes sense?

16. Chris Hiter

My tv unfortunately only has one Comonent in....it sucks but I want atleast my DVD and Xbox to be hooked up through component so that is why I am looking to get a receiver with component.