What's new

Receiver with Component Switching? (1 Viewer)

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I just got some HTD level three speakers and I am looking to upgrade my receiver. I was wondering if there is a good receiver out there with component switching, preferrably 3 inputs, to be had for around $500? I also would need atleast 3 digital inputs. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks for all the help!

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Nice speakers chris. You might wanna check out the yamaha htr-5560/rx-v630. Component switching, 6.1 discrete, 75wpc, a/b switching for mains, and all channel preouts.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to look that up on Pricescan but couldn't find it. Any ideas where to get it at a good price and some links for some more info

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
http://www.shopsunshine.com/Item.asp...em_Id=HTR-5560
great price, but I'm not sure if that's an authorized dealer. (for warranty purposes)
edit: actually, it's an amazing price.....but they are not listed as an authorized dealer on yamaha's website....sooo, you can gamble on yamaha's great quality control and this websites reputability, or pay $150 more somewhere else.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Onkyo Sr600, if you can find it - some circuit city's have it.

$450, component switching, 6.1, 3 optical digital inputs, 1 coaxial digital input, 80wx6.

-ELmO

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
That Yamaha is looking very tempting. Has anyone else had any luck with this receiver. Also, do you think the sound is going to be improved over my Pioneer 509S. I noticed the 6.1 sounds. Does this add a whole seperate channel or does it take from both rears and direct it to the center rear?

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I am also looking at this Yamaha unit. I'm hoping somebody can tell me a little more about the component switching aspect. Will S-Video/composite sources connected to the receiver output trough the component connections? If not, doesn't this defeat the purpose of component switching as I will still have to switch the TV's input selection for VCR/LD/SAT?

Convincing my wife that I need a receiver with all the new sound formats would be so much easier if it ALSO helps make it easier for her to operate the system.

Thanks!

C

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure that the yamaha won't convert an s-video signal to component. The point of the component switching is if you need to use multiple component video sources (dvd, HD cable/sat, xbox)

Also, the yamaha can be used for matrixed 6.1 and discrete (add another speaker) 6.1.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I went to audio review to check this out and there were only two reviews. They both loved it but does anyone else have anymore reviews or places to get them?

Richard_s

Second Unit
I have the HTR-5550 same as the HTR-5560 except no pre-outs, no B speakers, no discrete 6.1 (has matrix 6.1) and no Input on the front of the unit. The rest is the same.
Will S-Video/composite sources connected to the receiver output trough the component connections?
No this unit will not convert composite/s-video to component video. The component video switch will allow for you to connect two component video sources to a single compenent video input on your TV. I got this feature so that I can connect satellite and my DVD unit to the single component video input on my RPTV. This unit only switches S-video in to a single s-video out, Composite video in to a single composite video out and component video in to a single component video out. It does not do any switching of one type of video to another you have to do that on your TV. I am new to much of this so I do not know what if any unit does conversions of one format to the other I guess its possible.
I just paid the $399 at Best Buy for my HTR-5550 (The HTR-5560 is $499). Yes it looks like Shop Sunshine has great prices kind of odd that their list price is lower than the real list price. Anyway I worry about things like the warranty. I did purchase my JBL speakers from www.jandr.com as they had great prices and are JBL authorized so I do like e-tailers. The quality of Yamaha products are very good so Jason makes a good point. I just would not be willing to take that risk but I am paying a premium for the warranty. Repairs typically cost (in my area MA) $85 fixed labor + parts as a point of reference.
Any specific questions?
Here is my system to give you an idea of its power etc. I love the unit and plan to keep it.
HTR-5550
JBL N26 Mains
JBL PB12 Subwoofer
N-Center
Set all speakers to small.
I watched "titan AE" and "men in Black" to give the system a run for its (I mean my) money and I was not dissapointed. I set the system up using AVIA. I watched the entire movies at 10db below reference and they were room shaking, clear and crisp music, LFE and dialog. I am using this system in a 16X24 room with a cathedral ceiling that vaults to 14 feet and this system has no problem at all. I then watched a few of the real "killer sound" tracks at reference level and found the receiver and speakers up to the task. I did not hear any clipping and the effects and dialog still seemed great. The system was giving me peaks at around 109db.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
ElMalloc:

I found the SR600 at my local Circuit City and I talked to one of the guys and he said he could get it for me for around $450. Is this a good price?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Chris Brunner: Unfortunately, there are only a few receivers that will upconvert composite and s-video into component:
Denon AVR-5803
Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX
Kenwood Sovereign VR-5090, VR-5700, VR-5900, VR-6090
Chris Hiter: You can get it through Onecall for $449.10 with free shipping and probably won't have to pay tax.
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_15058.htm

Richard_s

Second Unit
One other think that impressed me about the HTR/5550. If you use the FM receiver I still do and this unit has an outstanding clear and sensitive FM tuner. I replaced my older Pioneer which I purchased over many other companies because the FM receiver was extremely good but the HTR/5550 outclassed my older Pioneer.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I think I have narrowed it down to the Onkyo and Yamaha. Has anyone heard both or read reviews of side by side comparisons? I was just wondering if it is worth the extra $100 to go ahead and get the Onkyo. I am tired of this trap of upgrading every year and want to get something to keep!

J

John Morris

Chris H: If your HDTV has three component inputs, I'd go direct with each unit rather than switching them into one of the TVs inputs. Why? Because odds are that each of the three units will look differently from each other and if you switch them into only one of your TVs component inputs, you will only be able to make your image perfect for one of those three components. If you go directly into three different inputs on your HDTV, you will be able to adjust each input so that that each specific image will look perfect. Hope that makes sense?

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
My tv unfortunately only has one Comonent in....it sucks but I want atleast my DVD and Xbox to be hooked up through component so that is why I am looking to get a receiver with component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gk7193
Recent bookmarks