Receiver with a phono input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Demaree, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

Are there any decent receivers, in the $500 range, that have a 'real' phono input? A friend at work is looking to buy her husband a HT setup (receiver, speakers 5.1). I was ready to reccomend Onkyo, Denon or possibly Outlaw ..then she mentioned that he has a large record collection and keeps them in perfect listening condition. It's my understanding that a record player needs an amplified input?? or something like that? I have no idea which receivers have a 'real' phono input and am looking for reccomendations. Once the receiver list is produced, they will look at speaker packages from Paradigm, Energy and whatever other brands are in the same price range ...and availible locally. If they can afford it ...an SVS sub will likely round out the bass [​IMG] DPL2 would be nice, but isn't strictly neccessary.

2. StuartW

StuartW Auditioning

My understanding is that if a receiver has a "Phono" input, it will have a built-in pre-amp for that input, which is necessary for a turntable. You can use a receiver without one, but you need to supply your own external preamp. I've been told in the past that you can get an inexpensive one (I believe on the order of $30) at Radio Shack, but I don't know if quality is an issue. I have an Onkyo 595 and am happy with it, but it has been discontinued and will be replaced with a new model very soon.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I'm no expert, but I think the issue is that a phono input has an equalization stage built into it. This is why you can't simply plug a turntable into just any open auxilliary input --- it has to specifically be a phono input.

In other words, if a receiver has a phono input, you're good to go.

4. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

Chris, the Yamaha RX-V620 (MSRP $499 U.S.)falls nicely into the price range your buddy is looking for. The phono input was one of the reasons I bought this receiver, and 5 channel stereo is a real treat on some of my older LP's. The only thing this receiver doesn't have that the newest Yamaha's will probably have is Dolby Pro Logic II.

5. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure what was needed for phono input. I'll take a look at the Yamaha receivers as well.

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Chris:
    Yes, if the receiver does not have a phono input, he will need a outboard phono input "pre-preamp" to boost the phono cartridge signal enough to be acceptable to a standard receiver line input.
    However, getting an add-on phono input is not complicated. I understand that Radio Shack used to have (still has?) a $30 phono input powered by a 9v battery that was surprisingly good quality. See this online thread:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bo...ges/38168.html
    After that, you can go up to the $50-$100 range and beyond. Way beyond.
    Unless the price point of the receiver is an issue -- and based on the follow-on purchases you're describing, it doesn't sound like it is -- I think the best solution would be for your friend to buy the receiver he likes and add that outboard phono input.

7. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

8. Robert Ray

Robert Ray Auditioning

For what it's worth not all phono inputs are the same.Nor are all cartrdges.If he has an exstensive record collection and keeps them in clean listening condition he may be advanced of the 40.00 cartridge and need a more extensive phono stage.I bought a Technics receiver SA-AX6 I believe and the phono stage sounded terrible.I went back to an old analog preamp Yamaha C-85 primarilly for the phono section,and it sounds good.So my point is get the system you want and use your existing receiver if you have pre outs just for phono.Plug into phono then out the pre to analog input of the new system.If the old system doesn't have pre out get a used preamp for about 100.00 that will do everything and sound great.

9. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Chris:

Kenwood Sovereign also offers phono input.

One thing to consider, which may or may not be relevant. The phono stages (containing an extra stage of amplification and RIAA equalisation) found in most HT receivers these days are "token" phono stages. They are not designed for any sort of performance goal, but rather tossed in simply to make the feature set a bit more attractive. You can bet that with all the money going into DSPs and amps in these things, not a lot is set aside for a record player input!

If this will be for the odd record to be played, with the system geared mainly to other sources, this is fine. However, if vinyl is more important to the listener, consider an add-on phono stage rather than searching for a receiver that includes one. NAD makes a killer phono stage, the PP-1. It is inexpensive, but performs way beyond its price point. If there is any serious committment to vinyl, this is the way to go.

/Jeff

10. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chris,
    I know this isn't the for sale forum, but since you brought up Onkyo (and bought my old 20-39PC) I thought I'd give you first dibs on my Integra 6.2 that I'm about to sell. I no longer have a use for it as I'm now running monoblocks with my sound card (with new beta drivers) acting as pre/pro. I paid $740 shipped for it back in June (which was a deal I got under special circumstances). I wasn't sure what to sell it for, but the $500 range (say $550?) sounds good to me if you're interested. It's in excellent condition, original box, manual, remote, etc. It seems to fit the bill for you perfectly, 5.1 DD/DTS, phono, DPL 2, etc. Info is here. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a better receiver in that range--LMK.

11. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

12. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Denon 1802 has phono in. NOt sure of quality. lists at $499.