What's new

Receiver with 2 5.1 analog inputs? (1 Viewer)

Adam Dub

Auditioning
I got my panasonic 5.1 receiver with one set of analog 5.1 inputs. I found that i need one set of inputs for my computer and one for the dvd. I can take it back if i want.

Anyone know of a 5.1 receiver with 2 analog 5.1 inputs? I got my receiver, dvd, and speakers for $500. I'd like to get all that again if i got a new reciever and not spend much more.

Help!

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Denon-AVR 5805 has both a 9.1 input and a 5.1 input. Similarly (but at a slightly lower price point, some Sony receivers have both a 7.1 and a 5.1 input. Such multichannel inputs do take up lots of space on the back panel-- and inexpensive receivers are usually quite thin in comparison to say, the 5805...

You may be able to find an external switch box, but the prices aren't necessarily low.

You could decide to move your DVD-Audio setup over to your computer-- after possibly upgrading the sound card to one of a handful of compatible (read DRM compliant) brands, Then, you could connect the DVD player with a SP/DIF or TOSlink. But that wouldn't help you with your SACDs.

nVidia used to have a "dolby digital encode" feature on its nForce motherboards. Such a feature would allow you to connect your computer to your receiver with a single sp/dif cable, while still enjoying 6 channel audio.

Perhaps you might seek out a receiver that supports USB or firewire-- with luck, such a receiver might be recognized by your chosen OS as a multichannel audio device. But such features, like dual multichannel inputs tend to be a bit rare.

Adam Dub

Auditioning
thanks for all the answers. i'm gonna look into some sony receivers with such a feature and see if anyone had any luck with usb/firewire capable ones.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You will never find that in a HTIB for $500. Most $1000 receivers alone only have 1 set of multi-channel inputs. I think a switch box may be your only answer.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Is this because you have 2 multichannel (hires) sources?

Why wouldn't you just use a digital audio connection?

Greg_Hammond

Agent
The only reason I can think of to use a multi-channel analog connection between your DVD and receiver would be if your DVD player plays back multi-channel SACD material, which can't be played back over digital audio connections with today's standards. If you're just watching movies and listening to traditional CD material with the player, then the quick answer is to use Optical or Coaxial digital connections between DVD and Receiver, and then you only need one multi-channel analog input.

You could get a sound card for your multimedia PC that supports 5.1 Digital S/PDIF output (either optical or coaxial) and hook your PC up to your receiver via digital connection.

Greg

Adam Dub

Auditioning
Greg - I originally tried that, but thought that some dvd's required an analog connection. I watched I Robot with just a digital connection from dvd to receiver, and didnt get any dialog, just ambient sound from the movie and music. I hooked up the analog 5.1 connections and it worked. So i thought it was common where dvd's need an analog audio connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks