What's new

Receiver Wish List (1 Viewer)

Don McGowan

Auditioning
This is my first post, but I have been actively following the discussions. I have learned a lot about a subject I know very little about but have a great interest in. I find myself in an interesting position, and I would love to have as many informed opinions as possible. I have two Denon receivers (AVR 4800 & AVR 3300) and an Onix amp (A120). I recently upgraded speakers for my home theater (and stereo) system; I bought a Rocket 750’s for the front 550’s for the back and a center channel. I have a REL Subwoofer that I have sentimental attachments to. The package I bought included the Onix amp, although it is only two channels, it seems to power the front speakers better than my Denon 4800. I could be imagining it, but it seems make the mid-range tones especially pronounced.

Now the dilemma. How should I proceed? As a newbie, there are a lot of systems out there that I have never even heard of. Until a friend told me about this site, I was dining on the home theater swill served up by the mass marketers. I had no idea that there were smaller outfits that made better products at a much lower cost (such as my Rocket Speakers).

I would like to get the best sound out of my speakers with out breaking the bank (I might have already done that by buying the speakers).

So here I sit with a lot of hardware that I could sell to possibly combine into one really nice receiver or several components. Or should I keep what I have and hook it up differently?

I await your counsel. Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Lets start with where you would like to see improvements???

Your going to have to spend some seious cash to get significantly better than what you have.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Don,

I agree with John that for a solid sounding 5.1 or 7.1 setup, I don't think you need to be looking for different components. I think that you need to look into calibrating your system with an spl meter and a setup disc like Avia or Video Essentials to get a balanced sound with the pieces you possess. Once you are have this accomplished, watch and listen to alot of audio and video sources to get used to what your system can sound like calibrated properly. Remember, that many say that the Rockets don't get broken in until a good 100 hours of solid use.

The 4800 is a great receiver to build around. You can always add outboard amps to it if your Rockets like more power. Any receiver that is newer just has a few new electronic features like video switching etc., but they won't sound better.

Upgrading can be an addiction in this hobby, since each new piece of equipment seems to show weaknesses (perceived or real) in the ones above and below on the rack. You haven't even mentioned the video end of your system, don't you need a new DVD player or RPTV or front projector!

:D

Enjoy your newfound hobby and how much better a DVD or cd can sound when properly setup,

Dennis

Don McGowan

Auditioning
Thank you both for your replies.

I think I was internally debating the pros and cons between separate components or an all-in-one receiver. I think I will stick with the 4800 and look to replace my DVD and CD players.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks