receiver wight

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob C, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Bob C

Bob C Extra

How much credence should I give to the old addage that the heavier the receiver, the better quality amp it contains? Is this just BS, or is there some truth to it?

2. James_SCEA

James_SCEA Agent

Bob,

There is some truth to that old addage. I would not however buy a receiver over another and let the weight be the deciding factor. Typically, if a receiver is heavier than another it means that the power supply may be bigger. Often times, a spec sheet can help in determining what type of power supply one uses - Torroidal is superior to IE in that it causes lest electro magnetic interferance - and often times will be heavier.

Other things that can effect the weight of a receiver besides the power supply are the heat sinks. Dissapating heat is very important in making sure that key internal components aren't overheated, thus reducing the performance of the receiver and possibly how long it will last. Big, thick, machined one-peice heat sinks definately weigh more that thin aluminum two peice ones.

So overall, I would not use weight as a deciding factor, but if anything can give you a prelude as to the possible build quality and type and size of power supply.

Are you comparing ones in particular?

JC[​IMG]

3. Bob C

Bob C Extra

I am comparing a few in particular. The H&K AVR230/330 and also last years AVR325. The 325 weighs in at appx. 40lbs, whereas both the 230 and 330 are in the 27lb category. I'm not sure of the powersupply type, but in looking through the slats in the top, the 325 definately has a large heatsink. The 27lb category also includes the Yamaha RX-V640/740 and 1400, as well as several others including the Marantz SR5400, Denon 1804, Integra 5.4, Onkyo 601. I'm wondering if I would even notice any difference between these models with regards to the additional power supply weight. Seems to be a considerable difference between the H&K model 325 and this years 330. Any thoughts?

4. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

I have yet to see the new HK line in person but I know that HK has done a few things with digital this year so maybe they have a few things (digital tech.) incoperated into their new line. If you look at the specs on their DLP-1001 ? (I think that is the correct model number), you will find that it is very light and a very powerfull receiver.

Other than the HK line models from this year and last are more or less the same, so maybe technology has just progressed a little for HK to make certain chips smaller / less weight for heatsinks required ect ...

but in the end I am guessing here so only take this with a grain of salt.

5. Bob C

Bob C Extra

Hey Jeff, I looked at the new digital receiver today as well. It is about half the height as the normal receiver as well as somewhat lighter. Sounds ok, but I got the sense that it wasnt quite as powerfull as the others. Maybe a few more generations of digital receivers will cure that. I'm still fixated on the Yamaha RX-V1400. Is there any reason I could go wrong with this receiver? Power is not that big an issue with me, the room isnt that big. My front speakers are KEF Q-50's, which are not as efficiant as some, and sound a little warm as opposed to neutral or bright. I don't want to end up with warm speakers/warm receiver, I think it would muddy up music to a degree. With my mishmash of different speakers, a receiver capable of helping me set up would be beneficial. Both the Yamaha 1400, and all the above mentioned H&K models have some form of pink noise generator with spl meter type setup.