Receiver vs Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

It's time to buy. I need to make some quick decision and I'm very stressed out because I can't make up my mind. Here's my system

Paradigm Studio 60s v.1

CC450 (old studio)

ADP150

PS1200 sub

I will almost definitely buy Studio ADPs and move the 150s to the rears for now. Here's my dilemma:

49tx or 3802/4802 w/ Servo 15

I don't think I can afford the 49tx and Servo 15 combo.

So if you were me would you choose the 49tx or would you buy the Denon 3802 and upgrade sub to Servo 15? Getting the 4802 and Servo 15 is an option too but I might kick myself more for not getting the 49tx more so than if I just get the 3802 w/ Servo 15. It's a really hard decision for me. Will I be better off with the 49tx or would i be better off with the Servo15?

2. Howard_S

C'mmon no help at all?

3. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

howard, why not postpone the adp and then buy the 49tx + servo15. the servo15 + 49tx will give a bigger improvement in my opinion.

4. Howard_S

Well I thought that in terms of HT performance my ADP150s would be more of a weakness than my PS1200 sub. And besides being an upgrade to my ADP150s buying the studio ADPs would also allow me to get 7ch setup when I move the 150s to the back. I'm open to suggestions though. It's not something that I'm opposed to but I just thought my surrounds are more of a weakness.

5. Howard_S

I really need to make a decision. I plan to buy this week. Just your honest opinions on what you would do. Thanks.

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I really think you're going to notice the sub upgrade more than the surrounds upgrade. The surrounds are only playing like 10% of the time, and only for effect. The sub is likely playing 90% of the time, depending on the movie. Now, if it were a matter of upgrading the sub vs. *getting* surrounds, then an argument could be made for the surrounds, but in this case, I think you should go for the Servo15!!

But, if you're dead set on upgrading the surrounds, I would go the Denon/Servo15 route.

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Howard,

I would go with the Denon 4802 and servo 15. In fact both are on my upgrade list.

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Buy the 49TX Howard. You KNOW thats what you want. As far as the servo 15 goes, i'd forget that and get an SVS. Should be cheaper and still remove things hanging on your walls. Lol...
    As far as being stressed out... you gotta remember whats important in life. (this ain't it...so relax [​IMG] )

9. Howard_S

What I really want is the 49tx w/ Studio ADPs and Servo 15. But since I think that will stretch my budget too far I will have to compensate somewhere.

I do think buying Studio ADPs ahead of Servo 15 would be a good idea since that will give me a 7ch setup but as I said I'm open to ideas.

As for the receiver. Of course I love the 49tx. There's no questions about it. But I also know that that's a lot of money to spend. And savings on the receiver will allow me to upgrade other things. It's really receiver vs sub. It's about whether I should take some receiver performance and apply it to the sub or I shoudl take sub performance and apply it to the receiver. I know it's not the most important things in life but I want to make the right decision.

10. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Howard.

Buy the servo-15 and the Denon from the same retailer. Find one that sells the Pioneer as well ( e.g. Audio video Unlimited) make sure the sales staff lets you trade/upgrade if you are not completely happy. They may even have a demo of each you can try in your home? With that kind of money they should be happy to cater to your testing.

Commercial Electronics was more than happy to trade/upgrade under these conditions so why the stress. If you delvelop the upgrade bug after buying the Denon you could always upgrade with an external amp down the road.

11. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Once one has a decent setup, IMHO a quality sub is going to be more bang or your buck than any other upgarde. In fact I'd even recommend a quality sub as the first upgrard for people with a crappy system too.

12. Howard_S

Well I would want to wait for the 47tx if I was to buy the Denon but the Denon is out now. But I'm just worried that I would be saying what if if I bought the 4802 instead of the 49tx whereas if I bought the 3802 I can at least say to myself that I'm enjoying my system and saved a lot of money.
    I am still stressed and haven't made my decision. As for upgrade policy. I'm just afraid I would like anything I bring home because it's an upgrade afterall but of course if I bring home the 49tx at the same time nothing will compare. I can't help to be stressed. This is a big decision for me. [​IMG] There are too many things I want to buy.

13. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i think that you really wanted the 49tx. if i were you, i will buy the 49tx and limit the choice between servo15 and studio adp. if you really want to experience 7.1 surround, then buy the adp and move the older surround to the rear center. but if you like a more engaging ht experience and better bass for music, then go for the servo15 and save some more until you can buy the adp's.

14. Howard_S

Besides wanting a 7.1 setup I was thinking that the studio ADPs will significantly improve my surrounds in general since they're suppose to be quite a stepup from my ADP150s?

I agree that a sub can really improve HT performance but I always thought my PS1200 was pretty good until I came on here and people started making me think of getting a better sub.

Please keep the advice coming if you can. I have yet to make up my mind but plan to go buy tomorrow. Thanks

15. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Since you ask what "we" would do in your position, here is my two cents....

I would buy the Denon 5800 and the Paradigm Servo. Why? Because I own the 5800 and love the beast. I am not bashing the Pioneer...I've never seen it. However, Denon has a couple of flagships under their belt at this time, while this is Pioneer's first foray into flagship receivers. If you are serious about the 4802, the 5800 can be had for just a couple of hundred more from many authorized dealers. I know your dilemna well. A year ago when I bought my 5800, I almost bought the 4800 instead. I'm really glad I didn't make that mistake. I would have had buyers remorse forever, always wondering "what coulda been???" There are a couple of features that the 4802 has that the 5800 doesn't....but that's where the differences end, IMO. If it's "feature rich" you want, the 4802 is for you....if it's "True performance" look no further than the 5800. If I was making the decision right now, knowing what I do....I would go with the 5800 once again.

Jeremy

16. Howard_S

I'm not considering the 5800 at all. I think stores here still sell that at a similar price to the 49tx. And I would like DPL2.

So all you guys think I should get the Servo 15 no matter what? Even if it means compromising the receiver?

17. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I would go the Denon route. Pioneer makes great receivers, but are very under powered. They dont give much current to the speakers. Unless you use the Pioneer as a Pre-amp, I'd stay away from the 49TX. Denon has a lot more power too their products. I have a 3801, and am very happy with it. However, I'm probably going to buy an Adcom power amp to use on my main 5 speakers. That way I'm using the Denon as power to my rear surrounds in the ES set up.
    If I were you... I'd probably buy the Denon 3802 and get the servo. Add a power amp in the near future and use the Denon as a preamp. You'll get a lot more clarity out of it and will probably be happier in the end. It's a wild suggestion! But hey, that's what I'm all about!!! [​IMG]

18. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"I'm not considering the 5800 at all. I think stores here still sell that at a similar price to the 49tx. And I would like DPL2."

Howard, I consider this a HUGE mistake. If you are truly willing to drop flagship cash on a flagship receiver, it is mandatory that you check all of them out, IMHO. DPLII or not. There are several different products in this range. The 5800, the B&K 307, and the Onkyo 989. The Onkyo has DPLII and the 5800 is rumored to get an upgrade to incorporate it. It is a BIG step up in performance, connectibility, and sonics to go the flagship route. Again, I haven't heard the Pioneer...so it very well may be the flagship receiver to beat....but please, if you're dropping this kind of coin, check out the competition. You may find (like I did) that DPLII is not that much different from Neo6. If that is the case, the rest of the flagships have this capability. I understand the desire to have all of the features available at the present...but don't sacrifice features for sound quality. There are so many things that the Denon does that I don't use, so I can speak from experience. I know many people on this forum and outside of it that prefer one or the other...but mainly the competition is between the B&K and the Denon. I have yet to hear from anyone that has had the 5800, moved to the Pioneer and found out what they were "missing" by not having DPLII....I digress.

Please, do yourself a favor and audition all of them, including the 4802.

Jeremy

19. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

I had last years Pioneer flagship and upgraded to the 5800 - the Denon is WAY better than the Elite. No contest. I paid $2200 on ebay for my new Denon 5800 about 7 months ago and it is the best reciever I have ever heard, even to this day. Id go with Denon and the Servo. The Servo is one hell of a sub.

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jeremy,
    The new Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX is the most feature rich receiver on the market right now..... i'm tradeing my B&K 307 for it.. This puppy weighs more than the Denon 5800! [​IMG]
    I'm not knock'n the 5800...it's a great receiver........... It's a whole new ball game folks with this new flagship from Pioneer Elite.
    VSX-49TX
    THX Ultra2 A/V Receiver
    The reference-standard VSX-49TX represents a new level in power, control, and sonic quality. It meets LucasFilm's THX-Ultra2 requirements for optimal playback of all multi-channel and movie formats, including precise 8-channel audio (7 speakers and a subwoofer) and processing of all wide-bandwidth component video signals (like HDTV) without any picture degradation. System setup is made easy with an advanced version of our Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit (MCACC), which, along with an outboard microphone, evaluates a room's environment and calibrates output accordingly. The VSX-49TX also features dual Sharc processors and a Motorola DSP processor for superb audio performance, and a large LCD touch-panel remote control. The Elite two-year warranty applies.
    Power
    New High Efficiency "Direct Energy" MOSFET Circuit
    Stereo: 160 Watts per Channel (20 - 20 kHz @ 6 ohm, 0.09% THD)
    Surround: 130W x 7 (20 Hz to [email protected] 8 ohm, 09% THD)
    Surround: 160W x 7 (20 Hz to [email protected] 6 ohm, 09% THD)
    Direct Construction Design
    Extra Large Chimney Heat Sink
    Audiophile Copper Upgrades
    Double Density Amplifier Printed Circuit Board
    Thick Copper Plated Copper Direct Current Bus Bar
    Diode & Transistor Covers
    Decoding and Processing
    New THX Ultra2
    THX Surround EX 6.1 Decoding
    THX Cinema & Music Modes
    Dolby Pro-Logic II Movie & Music
    DTS 96/24
    DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
    DTS NEO:6 Cinema & Music
    Dual Shark 32-Bit Floating Point plus Motorola DSP
    All Channel Burr Brown 192kHz/24-Bit DAC
    All Channel 96kHz/24Bit A/D Conversion
    Advanced Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit (MCACC)
    Advanced Cinema (6-Mode)
    Action
    Sci-Fi
    Drama
    Musical
    Mono Film
    5/7-D Theater
    Advanced Concert (6-Mode)
    Classical
    Chamber
    Jazz
    Rock
    Dance
    5/7 Channel Stereo
    Midnight Mode
    Multi-Channel Tone Controls
    Multi-Channel Digital NR
    Connectivity
    Pioneer Advanced Video Conversion w/On Screen Display
    8 Assignable Digital Inputs ( 3 coaxial, 5 optical)
    5 Audio & 7 Audio/Video Inputs (including tuner)
    Phono
    CD
    Tuner
    CDR/Tape 1
    Tape 2
    DVD/LD
    TV
    Satellite
    VCR 1
    VCR 2
    VCR 3
    7.1 Multi-Channel Inputs
    7.1 Channel Pre-Outs
    2 Audio/2 Audio Video/2 Video Outputs
    CDR/Tape1 Output
    Tape 2 Output
    VCR/DVR 1 Output
    VCR 2 Output
    2 Monitor Outputs
    RS-232 for Custom Control & Flash Memory Upgradeability
    S-Video x 7 Inputs / 5 Outputs (including front panel)
    3 HD-Ready Assignable Component Inputs / 1 Output
    2 Digital Outputs (2 optical)
    RF-input for AC-3 demodulator
    Phono Input
    MR&MS Pre-Out
    Power Amp In (Front Left / Front Right)
    Banana Speaker Terminals (All Channels)
    Build
    3-Dimensional Space Frame Construction
    New Aluminum Black Gloss Front Panel
    Heavy Duty Power Cord
    Copper Chassis
    Gold Plated Terminals (all inputs)
    Heavy Duty Power Cord
    Control Panel Door
    Convenience
    New Dot Matrix Display
    Large Screen Touch Panel LCD Learning Remote
    On-Screen Graphic User Interface
    Independent Multi-Room & Multi-Source Pre-amp & Control
    Function Rename
    Loudness Curve
    Direct Switch
    Fluorescent dimmer (4 step)
    1 Rear Panel AC Accessory Outlet
    AM/FM Tuner
    Random Presets for 30 AM/FM Stations
    3 Speed Tuning
    Control Door Design
    Warranty
    2 Years parts and labor
    Dimensions
    H x D x W - 7 3/4" x 16 7/8" x 17 3/8"
    Weight out of box - 64 lbs.
    © Pioneer North America, Inc.
    Contact Us | Other Pioneer Sites | Press Room | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use