What's new

Receiver vs Separate Amp/pre-amp (1 Viewer)

Myron

Agent
I've been thinking about getting something like a DENON 4802 receiver. But in thinking about it, I've realized that I don't need any AM/FM selection at all. All I actually need is the amp functions for DVDs and CDs for speakers and TVs. (50/50 music and Movies) And I read a recent review somewhere that implied that you would be better off in terms of quality of sound going with separates versus the one-piece receiver.

Couple of questions: 1) Would I be better off going with pre-amp and integrated amp in the $2000-$2500 range or getting a receiver such as the 4802?

And if better off with amps, what ones would people recommend?

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Tough one.

First off, an integrated amp is an amplifier and preamplifier in one chassis. So having an integrated amp and a preamplifier would be redundant.

My suggestion would be that if you want to buy new, go with the receiver. If you don't mind going used than do seperates.

That is probably what I would do if in your shoes.

-rob

Jose G

Supporting Actor
If I could have it my way, I would have a reciever for HT and seperates for music. But that's not my reality...yet. The HT receivers have come a long way in terms of quality and the divide between them and seperates is not as great as it once was (in my opinion). HT receivers do, however, have many features that serve their function well that may not be found on seperates- or at least affordable seperates. Seperates, I still believe will push the sound quality up a level in terms of stereo sound (depending on the unit of course) and are designed for that purpose. If I were going the receiver path- I would look into Outlaw, HK or Marantz and look for a model that I could use as a preamp in the future to pair up with a dedicated amp. This I think is the best compromise between both worlds. Should you go the way of seperates, look into Adcom, B&K, and Rotel as entry / intermediate level audiophile components, and Bryston and Krell as a step above those. Have fun, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks