What's new

Receiver Volume Output (1 Viewer)

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Was just curious...with the way my Onkyo TX-SR600 speaker calibrations were made (they are above "0" dB for each channel), does it sound normal that during playback of most Dolby Digital soundtracks on DVDs, I need to bring the volume beyond low-to-mid "40's" on the Onkyo's volume control in order to reach a comfortable, rather loud (but not too loud) listening level? DTS soundtracks dont usually have to be that high; they can rest comfortably below 50. But some DVDs I need to bring to even above "50" on this receiver's volume to feel comfortably immersed in the film's soundtrack. The receiver, as most know, is rated at 80 watts x 6. Does this sound normal?

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
The "number" on your receiver that represents volume is just that, a number. Don't worry about the value of this number. Just listen at the level you like.

I believe dts soundtracks are mixed a little louder than Dolby Digital, so that's normal.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
does that receiver calibrate itself? at least one of your speakers should be at "0" when calibrated, probably, no?

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
But on most receivers, you don't adjust the front speakers. You calibrate your front speakers to reference level with the master volume, and then use adjustments for the other speakers.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
right. so at least the front left channel should be calibrated at "0.0", if not both front left and right.

Garrett V

Agent
Scott, I used to have the Onyko 575 model (75 watts I think) and i was easily in the 48-55 range on the volume dial for movies. I was concerned with this at first but then relized that was normal.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
Does it concern anyone that many receivers out there today will not play movies at "ref level" ? or those little THX certified speakers will distort all to hell when played that loud?...

just to ponder

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, guys...

First, to respond to the calibration issue, for personal listening preference reasons, none of speakers are at zero right now...they are each jacked up beyond zero, and before y'all jump down my troat (just kidding), this is only for personal listening taste and preference!

For this reason, I was wondering if I should be getting significant sound below the mid-40's on the volume display; but as somone posted above (and I thank you), the number on this display is just that, a number....and thats how I have to look at it, and adjust volume as necessary, regardless of number display.

Also, in response to another post, the TX SR600 does NOT auto calibrate; and DTS mixes are usually significantly hotter than Dolby Digital mixes.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
if you want to ESTIMATE SPL #'s for your speakers and receiver, this is sorta how you do it. say your receiver goes from -100 to o db's
you have a 5 x 100 watt amp
and all your speakers are rated 90db's/1 watt efficiency.

if 0 on the receiver = 100 watts
then -3 = 50 watts
-6 = 25 watts
-9 = 12.5 watts
-12 = 6.25 watts
-15 = 3.125 watts
-18 = 1.5625 watts
-21 = 0.78125 watts

therefore to run your speakers at 1 watt would be around -19 or -20 and you know the average would be around 90 db's

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor

..and that's why you should ignore the number on the dial. Unless every speaker made had the same efficiency, that number is only a relative, not an absolute value.

In other words, with the same receiver, but different speakers, the knob set to 0 would put out different SPLs.

Brad E

Second Unit
Also Scott, your idea of loud or comfortable is very subjective.
I watch movies at -20 to -25 usually. However, when my brother is over and manages to wrestle the remote away, he sets the volume in the -45 area.
At which point I proceed to beat him until he relinquishes the remote so I can set it back to a "normal" listening level.;)

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brad,

Sure, listening is subjective and what is loud and comfortable; was just wondering TECHNICALLY if the value numbers on the display seemed "normal" on the SR600 for relatively agreed-upon comfort settings near the 50 or so mark when watching Dolby Digital DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks