What's new

Receiver Volume Knob Gets Stuck (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I have a Sony DD/DTS receiver STR-DE835. I bought it in '99 and it's a damn good piece of equipment but the volume knob has begun to stick when I'm using the remote, not all the time but enough to bother the crap out of me. I have to get up, hit mute, and jiggle the volume knob back and forth until it will work again. I'm sure the problem is the knob and not my remote control, which is in perfect working order with fresh batteries. So, how much will this set me back to have repaired?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't bother repairing this, as it is highly likely that the repair would cost more than the receiver is worth. No offense intended, but the DE line from Sony is not really that great, so I would be more inclined to replace it rather than repair it anyway (yes, speaking from experience as a former owner of them).

There is the possibility that there is just some dirt or dust in there causing this and you could try to >carefully< pull the knob off and clean it.

This seems to have been an issue with some ES models about the same age as the 835.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Before you live with it I would get some spray cleaner, Radio Shack has it, then pull the knob off & spray around the shaft. I once had a Pioneer Receiver that did it & one shot with cleaner fixed it. This is probably the first thing a repair shop would try & then charge you $75 for the repair :angry: Give it a shot, no pun intended :D

Users who are viewing this thread