receiver video input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MarcCh, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

I am setting up my receiver as well as my plasma tv. I notice that there is no HDMI/DVI input to the receiver. I realize that I may have to seperate audio/video. Is there a way to keep them together or is this what I am supposed to be doing. Will I be loosing any sound/video quaility from the split.

Marc

2. John S

John S Producer

HDMI to display, digital audio Coax/Optical to AVR.

Many people suggest not running video through the AVR as just one more device in the chain which may degrade the video.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

When it was just S-Video that was the highest resolution video that I had, running the DVD player and satellite through the receiver was fine. If there was any degradation, I didn't notice it and everytime I programmed the receiver like changing levels on the channels on the receiver, it was nice to see it on the t.v. including when turning the volume up or down. However, now with higher resolution I'm with John S, feed it directly to the t.v. especially HDMI. I lucked out when I bought my t.v. a year and half ago as it had 3 HDTV inputs including HDMI, so everything get's hooked up directly into the t.v.

4. MarcCh

MarcCh Agent

Does that cause any more problems when configuring my harmony remote??

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Not that I know of. The only issue here with the remote is it's capability to work as many functions on the unit the original remote works. Switching between T.V. inputs and Receiver inputs/outputs should not be a problem.