What's new

Receiver Upgrade (1 Viewer)

kelvin s

Grip
Hello All,

I need some good advice for a receiver upgrade. I currently own a sony db-840 which i`ve had for a couple of years. It has served me well and it sounds pretty good,but i`m looking for something better. My budget is 600-700 dollars. Is there anything in this price range that will give me a noticable improvement over what i already have or would i have to spend more ? My speaker setup is klipsch sf-2,sc-1 and ss-1. So far i`ve considered:

denon 2802
marantz 5200,6200,7200

Would these fit the bill? Any input would be greatfully appreciated,thanks.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Kelvin,

Welcome to the Forum.

You will find that non-ES Sony has little reputation around here. This site is filled with many posts of former Sony DB and DE owners who state they didn't know what they were missing. So yes, I feel certain that any of the receivers you mentioned will yield something noticeable.

I hate to sound like a broken record but the Musical quality of Marantz makes it a winner to my ears. The 6200 lacks component video, I believe (if that is a concern) but is a very nice receiver. The 7200 had a shaky review start but '02--> models appear to be well sorted out. If picking solely from your list this is the one I would select.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Most people on the Klipsch forum own either Denon or HK. Never heard the HK but the Denon's do sound nice. BTW, they Yamaha's sound very bright with Klipsch.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Kelvin,

I have Marantz SR6200 with some JBL S series and SVS 25-31PCi, and it is a great combination, I havent audition any Klipsch-Marantz, but I think it would sound very good also.

I read in other forum that the new Marantz X300 series will be out next month, maybe you can wait.

Denon 2802 is also a good receiver, but with your budget you could maybe even get a 3802, you can get one for $699.

Another choice that you should look is Harman Kardon AVR520, you can get it for $600 in the net.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks