What's new

Receiver Upgrade (1 Viewer)

AndrewB

Auditioning
I currently have a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection TV with a Dolby Digital/DTS DVD player with a Yamaha Pro Logic Receiver. I also own a subwoofer. I would like to upgrade my entire system, but unfortunately my checkbook says I can only upgrade one item. I am looking at receivers and would like to get 6.1. I want to spend no more than $1000. I'm looking for recommendations and would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about the Onkyo TX-SR700.
Thank you in advance to those who reply.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I just recieved my Denon 3802 today. It's a great value at $700. Sorry I don't have any info on the Onkyo.

Tom

Blair

Auditioning
There is a new Pioneer Elite model that retails for $600, includes DD EX, DTS ES and DPL 2. I am sorry I cant remember the model# but I saw it at Ultimate Electronics.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
That Pioneer Elite model is the VSX-41. It's build is almost exactly the same as the regular line Pioneer VSX-D811S. The only differences are 10 watts per channel (not an audible difference), 1 more optical output, the gloss black finish (as opposed to the brushed black of the normal line), a small LCD display at the top of the remote, and RE-EQ (an option available on all THX receivers that re-equalizes soundtracks for home theater that were not re-equalized in the transfer from film).

Other than this, the amplification stage and crystal signal processing are the same. Each channel is not driven by a discrete amplifier. This is most likely the only specification that is holding both the 811S and the 41 back from THX Select certification.

The 811S can be found for under $300 including shipping on yahoo shopping, and the 41 can be found for under $500 including shipping, also on yahoo shopping.

Depending on what you're looking for, either of these receivers would be a great choice. I own the 811S and am extremely happy with it, and while both are amazing middle of the road receivers, and would keep up with the 3802, neither could keep up w/ a 4802, 5802, or a seperates system.

Either of these receivers would be a great option if you want to save some of that $1000 budgeted for receiver and shift it towards speakers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Blair

IMHO I would upgrade your receiver to a 6.1, there are a few routes you could go. Here are some ideas,

Pioneer Elite VSX-41
Denon 3802
Harman Kardon AVR520
Onkyo TX-DS797

I have purchased Onkyo Integra products in the past but I am not very crazy about there porduct now. Some people seem to like Onkyo reveivers but I guess the main thing for me is the processor in the Onkyo? Anyway I hope this helps you in your decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks