Receiver Upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewB, Aug 8, 2002.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB Auditioning

Jul 11, 2002
    I currently have a 50" Mitsubishi rear projection TV with a Dolby Digital/DTS DVD player with a Yamaha Pro Logic Receiver. I also own a subwoofer. I would like to upgrade my entire system, but unfortunately my checkbook says I can only upgrade one item. I am looking at receivers and would like to get 6.1. I want to spend no more than $1000. I'm looking for recommendations and would like to know if anyone can tell me anything about the Onkyo TX-SR700.
    Thank you in advance to those who reply.
  2. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Jul 5, 2002
    I just recieved my Denon 3802 today. It's a great value at $700. Sorry I don't have any info on the Onkyo.

3. Blair

Blair Auditioning

Mar 11, 2002
    There is a new Pioneer Elite model that retails for $600, includes DD EX, DTS ES and DPL 2. I am sorry I cant remember the model# but I saw it at Ultimate Electronics.
  4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    That Pioneer Elite model is the VSX-41. It's build is almost exactly the same as the regular line Pioneer VSX-D811S. The only differences are 10 watts per channel (not an audible difference), 1 more optical output, the gloss black finish (as opposed to the brushed black of the normal line), a small LCD display at the top of the remote, and RE-EQ (an option available on all THX receivers that re-equalizes soundtracks for home theater that were not re-equalized in the transfer from film).

Other than this, the amplification stage and crystal signal processing are the same. Each channel is not driven by a discrete amplifier. This is most likely the only specification that is holding both the 811S and the 41 back from THX Select certification.

The 811S can be found for under $300 including shipping on yahoo shopping, and the 41 can be found for under $500 including shipping, also on yahoo shopping.

Depending on what you're looking for, either of these receivers would be a great choice. I own the 811S and am extremely happy with it, and while both are amazing middle of the road receivers, and would keep up with the 3802, neither could keep up w/ a 4802, 5802, or a seperates system.

Either of these receivers would be a great option if you want to save some of that $1000 budgeted for receiver and shift it towards speakers.
  5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer

Jul 7, 2001
    Dave Moritz
    Hey Blair

IMHO I would upgrade your receiver to a 6.1, there are a few routes you could go. Here are some ideas,

Pioneer Elite VSX-41
    Denon 3802
    Harman Kardon AVR520
    Onkyo TX-DS797

I have purchased Onkyo Integra products in the past but I am not very crazy about there porduct now. Some people seem to like Onkyo reveivers but I guess the main thing for me is the processor in the Onkyo? Anyway I hope this helps you in your decision?