What's new

Receiver upgrade (1 Viewer)

Omega601

Auditioning
Real Name
Giorgos
Hey all! I
wanted to ask your opinion. I have an old Yamaha RX-V2700 and an thinking to upgrade to a Sony STR-DN1080 for the sole purpose of 4K HDR. Atm i am obligated to connect every 4K source directly on TV and send everything to the receiver via optical output of TV which on pc gaming for example means stereo only... I know all this will be a thing of the past with the new receiver when it comes to video. But the thing that i need the expert answer to is for audio.
Yamaha was a very expensive receiver and i am wondering if i upgrade for 4K video will i be making a downgrade in sound?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As far as I can tell, that Sony receiver is fully 4K and HDR compatible, so you would connect all your sources to it, then from it to the TV. You have to make certain all your hdmi cable are certified for 4K HDR. But, you should get the best of both worlds. The best audio and video.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have never been much of a fan of Sony's receivers, but it has been almost 20 years since I owned one, so maybe their tonal quality has improved.

A few other receivers you may want to consider that are in the same price range and similar specs:

Denon AVR-S750H
Denon AVR-S950H
Denon AVR-X2500H
Yamaha RX-V685
Onkyo TX-NR696

I saw that the Sony model you are considering boasts 100 watts per channel. I would not base your decision on watts per channel alone - that figure means next to nothing in any real environment. If you've been happy with your older Yamaha, I would stick with Yamaha (I think of all the brands, they are the best bang for the buck, especially in their lower end models). I currently have two Denon's (AVR-S930H and AVR-X2400H) that I've been pretty happy with.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
As far as I can tell, that Sony receiver is fully 4K and HDR compatible, so you would connect all your sources to it, then from it to the TV. You have to make certain all your hdmi cable are certified for 4K HDR. But, you should get the best of both worlds. The best audio and video.
Pretty much any receiver these days from the major manufacturers, especially if it is a current model year, should be fully UHD and HDR compatible (at least HDR10, HLG, and DV). We will likely see some compatibility issues when next year's displays start incorporating HDMI 2.2, but that should not be as big an issue as it was when the industry switched to HDMI 2.0 from v1.4, which changed the frame rate and type of copy protection that all 4K content currently uses.That caused many so-called "4K-ready" receivers to not really be 4K capable, as they were using HDMI v1.4 chipsets.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pretty much any receiver these days from the major manufacturers, especially if it is a current model year, should be fully UHD and HDR compatible (at least HDR10, HLG, and DV).
I've learned to put caveats on any compatibility statements I ever make.

Omega601

Auditioning
Real Name
Giorgos
Thank you very much for the replies.
I am really happy with the Yamaha receiver i currently own sound wise. My friend bought a new Yamaha low end receiver RX-V483 and we tested it at my house with my speakers and didn't sound nearly as good as mine.
But i am slowly being forced to upgrade and i wouldn't like to spend as much as i did last time.
The room i have the set up is small and my speakers are crystal audio's plasma series 5.1 (quite old as well) they are descent though with a thx certified sub. But maybe not such a good setup to spend a lot of money on..
I was disappointed with the Yamaha my friend brought to test that's why i am sceptical about the Sony receiver even though i understand they are on a different level..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks