Receiver Upgrade (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
arjundeepakshriram said:
Upgrading to a new Pioneer Elite receiver. Has support for 4 ohm speakers and a subwoofer in Pure Direct.
That is weird. Keeping the sub in Pure Direct means it isn't...Pure Direct.

You have to engage DSP/EQ(bypassing EQ is possible...but DSP and EQ are "linked") to create sub from 2.0.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ya, I'd double check the active sub in Pure Direct before buying.

Didn't see your earlier post. Classe, Rotel, Arcam, etc. are fairly high-end. I'm sure they're great but I have no experience with them. Wish i did.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
You are both correct. So I am dropping the new reciever. The Denon is so good in Stereo itself that I wonder why I even need PD at all. I find that the sound is more accurate with the sub on and is still better EQ on.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With those Jamo speakers you do need a subwoofer.

Are you using an analog connection between the source component (cd player, dvd player, etc) or digital? Try them both if you can. I prefer analog for two channel music in most instances.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
gene c said:
With those Jamo speakers you do need a subwoofer.Are you using an analog connection between the source component (cd player, dvd player, etc) or digital? Try them both if you can. I prefer analog for two channel music in most instances.
Like i said earlier, I am using the D7 SUB. My primary source is the Marantz CD player connected using a Kimber Kable DV75 (coaxial).

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
gene c said:
Ya, I'd double check the active sub in Pure Direct before buying.Didn't see your earlier post. Classe, Rotel, Arcam, etc. are fairly high-end. I'm sure they're great but I have no experience with them. Wish i did.
I am listening to Stereo in Stereo as its meant to be. I see no need for PD at all as a result.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What I meant was you have to activate your sub with those Jamo speakers. They don't go down deep enough to do PD

Also suggested you try an analog connection instead of a digital one. Analog can also be used in Stereo. Doesn't need to be PD. Who knows, you may like it better. Maybe not, but it's worth a try. I usually do.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
The subwoofer cannot be activatated in Pure Direct. I am using a coaxial wire as mentioned earlier. The important question for me now is this : Am I better off using my Denon to "drive" my subwoofer using the obvious preout plus adding an extra Rotel poweramp to drive the front speakers thereby having "Pure Direct" sound quality while retaining the subwoofer ?? I know that this is not Pure Direct but could it be better ??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, I'll explain this. Again. A. Second. Time.If you get an analog audio switch($20) and a crossover ($150 to however much you want to spend) with your extra amp...Run the main LR pre out to the crossover. Set that however you want.Send the sub information to the analog audio switch.The other side of this switch goes to your .1 pre out.Simple. Done. You. Have. Subwoofer. In. Pure. Direct Mode.And. For .1 material. (As a side note. Have you read the owners manual of your sub? Is the input/output for daisy-chaining? Or does it introduce the internal crossover? That information would help immensely)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, the subwoofer output does have a crossover.Buy your external amp, connect it to the sub. Connect the sub to the LR preouts.Set the system up as "no sub" with front channel full range.Doing that or, as you got it, you should notice no performance difference.Of course....other than sub always being in use.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
schan1269 said:
So, the subwoofer output does have a crossover.Buy your external amp, connect it to the sub. Connect the sub to the LR preouts.Set the system up as "no sub" with front channel full range.Doing that or, as you got it, you should notice no performance difference.Of course....other than sub always being in use.
1. The input uses the crossover. The output is for daisy chaining. 2. Will that be a new poweramp or my spare Denon 3805??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have these options...1. Run the sub off the LR preouts with the AVR set full range. Sending full bass to your present speakers.2. Using an external amp with a crossover(since the sub daisy chains)No other options.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
Go To Setup Manual Setup Speaker Setup Bass Setting Subwoofer Mode Change From LFE To LFE Plus Main. Front Speaker As Small. Subwoofer Is On In Pure Direct....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What?You get sub in "LFE + main" in Pure Direct.That should not be possible...as "LFE + main" is a bass management setting...which is bypassed in Pure Direct.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
arjundeepakshriram said:
Go To Setup Manual Setup Speaker Setup Bass Setting Subwoofer Mode Change From LFE To LFE Plus Main. Front Speaker As Small. Subwoofer Is On In Pure Direct....
On my Pioneer Elite vsx-23 those setting only work with a digital connection. With analog it's still 2.0.

After some quick listening, I'd still prefer analog in "Stereo" (with the sub) then digital in "Pure Direct" with the sub woofer set to Plus for 2 channel music.

arjundeepakshriram

Stunt Coordinator
gene c said:
On my Pioneer Elite vsx-23 those setting only work with a digital connection. With analog it's still 2.0.After some quick listening, I'd still prefer analog in "Stereo" (with the sub) then digital in "Pure Direct" with the sub woofer set to Plus for 2 channel music.
I use analog & Pure Direct..

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Analog and Pure Direct only gets me 2.0 on my Pioneers but I'll check my Marantz receiver sometime tonight.

But IMO, stereo music in Pure Direct with an active subwoofer isn't "Pure Direct". It might sound great, but it's not Pure Direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks