Receiver upgrade to Denon 3801 - my observation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Feb 16, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I recently upgraded from a cheap DE series Sony receiver to the Denon 3801. The Denon is definitely a challenge to set up and the interface leaves much to be desired, particularly the necessity of having to have video out from the receiver to the TV in order to be able to change any settings. Assenine.

Now here is the interesting part. I didn't think there would be any difference in sound. And for the most part, I can't really say the "sound quality" has changed for HT purposes, e.g. that it sounds warmer, clearer, etc. However, from the moment I plugged it in, I noticed 2 rather dramatic differences.

First, the rear/surround soundstage is MUCH wider and better articulated (I still am using a 5.1 system, so no additional speakers). I checked to make sure I didn't just have the surround level set higher, but I didn't. I actually had the Sony set to +2db's for the rears, and the Denon is set at 0. But the rear soundstage is vastly improved, almost as big a difference as when I went from DPL to DD a couple years back. Is that the Denon vs. Sony doing that?

Second, and even more surprising, my Sony SA-Wm40 subwoofer seems to be less boomy and muddy with the Denon. The base is still powerful, but it is more controlled. Could that also be caused by the upgrade to the Denon, or am I experiencing auditory hallucinations?

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I would attribute both difference to the Denon receiver. The Denon receiver has more "clean" power than the Sony does.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Ok Eric, its good to see you up and running. Yea, I think most AV RCVRS are smoke and mirrors with a chip for all audio except the front stereo. My JVC 888 was that way. The 3802 has 7 independent amps in theory. With full power maybe to all amps. No one has actually done a test of this to prove it. But mine definately will blow your socks off with all 7 speakers in stereo. So everything will sound better, DBS is great. This is a definate move up for me. The 989 and 5803 look interesting, but we are set for 5-6 years. By then the 6.1/7.1 stuff will all settle out with a definate direction and winner. I hope DVD audio takes off so we can see stuff with our music.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]