Receiver upgrade question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh W, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Josh W

Josh W Agent

Right now I have a low end Sony receiver, but I'm planning on updating my receiver soon. I don't know a lot about this aspect of HT, was wondering what brands to look at. I'm using Klipsch Reference series speakers. My budget would be between $500 and $800.

2. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Josh,

If its still available, you can get a Denon 3802 at 6ave.com for $699 (MSRP $999). Cant beat that deal and IMO, Denons are a good match for Klipsch.

Phil

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Josh,
    I see you're coming up on a 1 year anniversary here at HTF and have all of 11 notches on your gun.[​IMG]
    Might I ask what your listening percentages are in terms of Music vs HT?
    If Music is over 50% I would stay with the H/K 320 or 520, Marantz 6200 or 7200. Also the Denon 3802 handles Music well as Denons go, IMO.
    If HT is over 50% then I agree with Philip...the 7 channel Denon 3802 is a terrific buy at the $700 6Ave.com price.

4. Josh W

Josh W Agent

Yea Paul, I'm a big poster. But I don't know what I'd do without the forum. I'd probably be a wealthy man.[​IMG] My system is mainly used for movies. So, I'll check out the Denons.
    Thanks.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have Klipsch reference speakers and I'd say that Onkyos are a bit too bright to match up well for my taste. If you go to Klipsch.com and post on their board, I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations specific to your speakers. Mostly, as Philip said, I think the Denon is most often matched with the Klipsch for good results and that price is very, very nice. I've also heard good things about the HK's.