Receiver Upgrade - Kenwood 405 to 507 or 509?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

About a year ago, I bought the Kenwood HTB-353 which contains the Kenwood VR-405 and some speakers to go with it, they may not be the best speakers but for my needs (Apartment Dweller), they do the job perfectly.
    I am thinking about changing the receiver for the following reasons:
    - Now that more and more DVDs have DTS on them, the lack of DTS support on my receiver is starting to annoy me.
    - I use my PC to do some video capture for Music Videos, some scenes from DVDs I like to cap and send to people and stuff like that. For now, I am using my TV's Monitor-Out (Composite RCA-Jack) to feed the picture from the DVD or Digital-Cable into the PC. I wanna use S-Video, so S-Video Switching would be handy.
    - 6ch Audio Inputs might be useful to me if DVD Audio gets more popular and that many disks of my kind of music (Female singers/songwriters) gets released, I would go into that and don't want to change my receiver again. And to do some 4-Point Surround tests with my SBLive...
    - DPL2 sounds like a great improvement for Stereo Music or Movies/TV Shows.
    To what I can see from Kenwood's web site, the only difference between the 507 and 509 is the Component Switching which I don't think I will need, so far the only device I have that has Component Video is my DVD Player and my TV doesn't have Component In (Currently using S-Video) so I guess it's pretty much useless now. Any other diffs between the 507 and 509 that may justify the 100$(Cdn) Price Diff.?
    And also the most important thing is, will my current speakers work with it? I know they can only go to 80wpc and the 507/509 are 100wpc receivers, even if I don't crank it to the max (Like I said, I'm an Apartment Dweller) are there any risks that I blow my speakers?
    And again, with those speakers, will I really tell the diff between AC3 and DTS? I mean, sound clarity-wise, not bass-wise. Considering I can tell the diff between 384k and 448k AC3 and between AC3 and uncompressed PCM. I might upgrade the speakers eventually but for now, they'll do just fine (I hope).
    I hope someone can help me make a good decision.

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The 509 had upgraded amps and a few other goodies that make it a better receiver. I would go that way. If you can drop just a little more money the 510 is THX and offers some unbelievable performance for the money.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

3. JohnRyan

JohnRyan Stunt Coordinator

I was also having trouble deciding as to which model to buy, 507 or 509. I decided I could live without the RF remote and the fact that my TV does not have components in/out so that would have been useless. SO I decided to go with the 507. I went ahead and bout the HTB-504 which included the speakers and sub. It sounds great for now until I upgrade the speakers to the JBL-NSP1 in a few years.
    This receiver is pretty cool.
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    "I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

4. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Tell me how it is. I'm still considering the 510, vs. the Sovereign 5080/5090 or Denon 2802/3802.
    Don't worry about it. You'll know if you've cranked it too loud. Too many people actually underpower their speakers.
    By the way, Don't for a second believe their numbers are comparable to most of the higher end ones. I wonder if their 0.7% THD 100 W 8 Ohm spec is partially because they're stressing out their amps more to get the bigger Wattage number. Even their higher end 5090 (which lists for CAD$3000 at Crutchfield) gets "only" 80 W at 6 Ohm, but with 0.06% THD.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 21, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I got a Kenwood VR-510 for $552 Canadian today. That's about US$356. I was strongly considering the Sovereign 5090, but given I might have had to spend CAD$1700 for it, I just couldn't pass up the deal.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!