What's new

Receiver turns on, then goes to standby right away! (1 Viewer)

Matt:Brunmeier

Stunt Coordinator
I got this receiver off ebay a while ago and haven't been home to check whether it works. I'm obviously a little flustered because it seems to me that I was sent a broken receiver.

I turn it on, then no matter what I do a few seconds later it goes right back to standby. It's a Sherwood RD-7106. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Unplug all your speaker wires and try it again and see if you still have the same problem, in case there is a short somewhere.

Stunt Coordinator
tried it with all speakers and all components unplugged and it still screws up. I was thinking earlier it might be a grounding issue but it seems kind of like a long shot. I mean, I've turned it on while touching it :-D

Stunt Coordinator
how would I check that?

I guess I could try taking it to a service center. Best Buy supports Sherwood stuff right? I know they'd rape me up the ass on service but they might at least tell me what's wrong with it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's broke, but it may be inexpensive to fix. Go to Sherwood's local official service center.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
What kind of speakers are you running with it? If they are low ohms, and tough to drive, it could be tripping a breaker internally on your receiver that's hampering it's ability to drive the speakers. I've seen this in the past and it's just a thought. If you are running 4 ohm speakers on a receiver designed not to support those tough loads, that could be your problem.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ignore my last post. I see it's going into standby even with everything unhooked. Yep, it's definately a service issue now.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Just had this exact same problem with my Rotel 1055. Turned out to be a problem with the amp. Amp was replaced under warranty and now it works like a charm.

Funny thing is I use the 1055 as a pre-amp; the amp section has never even powered a speaker. I guess it got tired of sitting idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks