Receiver turns on, then goes to standby right away!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt:Brunmeier, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Matt:Brunmeier

Matt:Brunmeier Stunt Coordinator

I got this receiver off ebay a while ago and haven't been home to check whether it works. I'm obviously a little flustered because it seems to me that I was sent a broken receiver.

I turn it on, then no matter what I do a few seconds later it goes right back to standby. It's a Sherwood RD-7106. Does anyone know what could cause this?

2. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

Unplug all your speaker wires and try it again and see if you still have the same problem, in case there is a short somewhere.

3. Matt:Brunmeier

tried it with all speakers and all components unplugged and it still screws up. I was thinking earlier it might be a grounding issue but it seems kind of like a long shot. I mean, I've turned it on while touching it :-D

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Power supply? I had an Onkyo once that did that. Got it fixed for free under warranty.

5. Matt:Brunmeier

how would I check that?

I guess I could try taking it to a service center. Best Buy supports Sherwood stuff right? I know they'd rape me up the ass on service but they might at least tell me what's wrong with it.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It's broke, but it may be inexpensive to fix. Go to Sherwood's local official service center.

7. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Yes, I believe you would have to take it in[​IMG]

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

What kind of speakers are you running with it? If they are low ohms, and tough to drive, it could be tripping a breaker internally on your receiver that's hampering it's ability to drive the speakers. I've seen this in the past and it's just a thought. If you are running 4 ohm speakers on a receiver designed not to support those tough loads, that could be your problem.

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Ignore my last post. I see it's going into standby even with everything unhooked. Yep, it's definately a service issue now.

10. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Just had this exact same problem with my Rotel 1055. Turned out to be a problem with the amp. Amp was replaced under warranty and now it works like a charm.

Funny thing is I use the 1055 as a pre-amp; the amp section has never even powered a speaker. I guess it got tired of sitting idle.