What's new

Receiver Turns Off (1 Viewer)

Todd Henry

Second Unit
I have a Pioneer 1014 that I bought a couple of months ago. Two weekends ago, I set up new Infinity satellite speakers. Starting last night, it has started to just turn off by itself, usually right after I turn it on.

What should I be checking in terms of a possible cause. Could there be a problem with the speakers or speaker wires causing the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Todd

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, speaker wires shorting would likely be the first thing to check where they go into the receiver. Disconnect and reconnect each of them. If that's not it, you will probably want to check each speaker individually (disconnect the rest) to see if one has a problem. I would expect it to have done it right away if it was a short with the wires, but if you blew a driver since then, you could possibly get a similar result.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Any thought if I told you it only happens on certain channels? I've been watching baseball on Comcast SportsNet with no problems, but if I flip to Fox or CBS it turns off almost immediately? I have the receiver set to TV Surround setting.

Shane Burton

Agent
Try disconnecting the infinity's first. If that solves the problem, try an alternative surround speaker. If that fails, return it (if possible) for an exchange.

Also, verify that the impedance of your speakers match.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Todd,

The following is an excerpt from the VSX-1014TX Operating Instructions (Owner's Manual) - Chapter 12: Additional Information: Troubleshooting - Page 64:

Symptom
The receiver suddenly switches off.

Cause
• The speaker wires are frayed or sticking out
of the jack, and are touching the back of the
receiver or another set of wires.
Remedy
• Reinsert the speaker wires, making sure there are no
stray strands of wire and that they are inserted fully.

Cause
• The receiver has a serious problem.
Remedy
• Unplug the receiver from the wall and call a Pioneer
authorized independent service company.

I have the Operating Instructions (Owner's Manual) saved in PDF format. Let me know if you need a copy - it's about a 2.5MB file.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Thanks Jeff,

I think it is the speaker wires. I need to redo them since the cooper is probably sticking out too far from the banana plugs.

Todd

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Match what? With most receivers there is no need to worry about impedance mixing. Now running all 4 Ohm speakers might push it for most, but I doubt Infinity satellites would.

Users who are viewing this thread