What's new

Receiver to subwoofer connection (1 Viewer)

Paul Rehbein

Auditioning
I really hope this topic hasn't been beaten to death here. Anyways, I am wondering if my sub is hooked up for optimum performance. My receiver is a 6-7 year old Technics Dolby Pro-Logic.

These are the specs:
Amplifier Output Details100 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 5 channel(s) ( surround ), 100 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 200 Hz - THD 0.09% - 1 channel(s) ( subwoofer ), 100 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.05% - 2 channel(s) ( front )

I just bought an Infinity PS-8 subwoofer and it is connected with a regular sub cable: rca type ends. Anyways, the receiver only contains a sub-out on the back. The back of the sub contains a LFE, and left-right (red-white) inputs. I currently have the cable from the sub-out plugged in the LFE input and it seems to be working properly even though the receiver does not have a LFE out. Should I be using a y-connector or whatever it is called to connect to the subs left-right inputs?? (in other words: a 1 to 2 type cable) I hope my explanation makes sense.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
It Kinda depends on your Receiver. LFE input bypasses the internal Crossover in the sub and the R/L input goes through the Crossover. Even in the event you go through the crossover Plugging into just the Left ( some subs are labeled as so) will do.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as it doesn't go to "sleep" while you are playing media, keep it the way you have it connected now. The sub pre-out is the same for basically all receivers (mono, dual mono) and using the LFE in on the sub would be the best way to connect the sub when feeding it an already crossed over signal because you are bypassing the sub's x-over. If you were to use a Y splitter to the R&L, you would still be feeding the sub the same signal, as you only have a single pre-out on the receiver, so it won't buy you anything. Using the R&L, you would then have to manually "defeat" the sub's x-over by turning it up to its max.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks