Receiver to Subwoofer Connection Question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Bob__H, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Bob__H

Bob__H Auditioning

Hi all,

Great forum! I am brand spanking new into the HT market (as most here seem to be, thank goodness)!

I have an ONKYO TX-SR501 receiver and bought JBL SCS136 surround cinema speakers. I assumed that the two were compatible as the salesperson recommended them together. The speakers only came with standard speaker wire for the connection from receiver to subwoofer. The subwoofer has an LFE input and a L and R input (yellow/red). My receiver only has one output labeled Subwoofer PRE Out. I can't find the definition of what Subwoofer PRE out means. I imagine it has nothing to do with LFE..does it?

My receiver advertises that it is Dolby Digital capable, but for that I need an LFE out, if I understand the speaker instructions correctly. So my question is: Can I run a cable from the Subwoofer PRE Out on my receiver to the LFE on my Subwoofer? If so, what kind of cable should I use? No guidance is given in the instructions.

Also, while I have your attention (hopefully, lol) I have another question. Is there any advantage to running component video from the DVD to the receiver then out to the HDTV as oppposed to just connecting the DVD to the HDTV? I assume the only cable required to go through the receiver is the digital optical.
    How about any other components through the receiver? Any advantages?

Thanks for helping out yet another noob.
    Bob

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Use a single rca cable to connect the receiver sub out to the sub lfe input. Connect the speakers to the receivers speaker terminals. Set all of the speakers to "Small" and set your crossover point to 80hz.
    Connecting the video to the receiver allows you to use the receiver for video switching. It's a simple way to connect multiple video sources to the TV if you have limited inputs on the TV itself.

3. Bob__H

Bob__H Auditioning

Ok, so the Subwoofer Pre Out, must be compatible with the LFE In..Thanks!

As for connecting video to receiver: There are 2 IN connections on the Receiver, one is Video 1/2/3, the other is DVD In. Next to that is an out..So as you were saying, I could have another component video along with the DVD going into the receiver, but only need one OUT for both, thus needing less inputs on the TV..

Sound about right?

Thanks again,
    Bob

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

You got it!

5. Bob__H

Bob__H Auditioning

Thanks Frank!

TV gets here in about 5 hours! Can't wait! Should take me about a week to figure out my set up.. LOL!

On another subject.. When I bought my Progressive scan DVD I thought I was getting all the bells and whistles.. My Receiver has DVD Multi-channel inputs, but my DVD does not have Multi-channel outputs (or vice verse). All I have is the digital optical for the sound. Is the Multi-channel better than the single digital optical cable?

Thanks!
    Bob

6. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Great system. That is what I really wanted, but I ended up with the Onkyo HTS-760. Still pretty good, but the JBLs are better speakers. With the optical cable, you will have all the audio choices available in your system. From what I understand, the optical cable should take place of all the multi-channel input cables.
    I have no idea which one is better. I like the optical cable better because it eliminates a bunch of cables and can pick up interference. The optical cable is just tranmitting data via light waves. A bunch of ones and zeros.

7. Bob__H

Bob__H Auditioning

Daniel,

I was going to get that HTS-760 but the place where I got my HDTV didn't carry that and they gave me a great deal on the receiver and speakers since I was going to get the TV and a wrap around.. According to Consumer reports, you have one of the best HTS', don't sell it short.

Thanks for the info on the optical vs. multi-channel. The Receiver manual made it look like the multi-channel set up was better.

Bob

8. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

You should re-post that as a single question to see what other people think. I would be interested to know.

9. Dave*WB

Dave*WB Auditioning

Bob,

My guess is that the Multi-channel inputs are for DVD players that are also SACD or DVD-A players. These formats can only be wired through multi-channel connections (something to do with copy protection).

In your case if you do not have SACD of DVD-A capability with your DVD player, the digital optical input is your best choice.

Enjoy.

10. Joe_on

Joe_on Stunt Coordinator

Danielkellmii,
    Are you happy with your Onkyo? I am considering the Rockets tykes for 399 and get a 200-300 dollars receiver.

I saw them (onkyo HT-S760) at Vann's for $499. Are the sounds rich or thin and how's the power. Give me details, Thanks

11. Kernel X

Kernel X Extra

If you are only hooking up one component video device I would definitely hook the dvd player directly to the tv. The shorter the path the better the signal. All digital connections can be made to the receiver...have a good one!