Receiver to replace separates system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rich X, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Having completed the contruction of a theater in my basement about 9 months ago, I now have two theater systems in my house. The main one in the theater is a full-blown audiophile system. The second one in my family room is also very good, but the kind of use it gets now really makes some of the equipment that I have in there overkill.

I've been thinking that I would like to simplify that system and trade out some of the equipment I have in there.

The current set-up:

Anthem AVM-2 pre/pro
    Anthem MCA5 amp
    Integra DPS 9.1 DVD player (DVD-A also)
    Pioneer elite CD changer
    B&W LCR 60 S3 as L/R mains
    B&W LCR 600 S3 as Center
    B&W CWM 650 in-wall Rears
    Velodyne SPL-1000
    MIT T2 speaker cables
    Sony 36" XBR

My thought is to sell the two Anthem pieces and replace them with a good reciever that can manage all of the current surround sound formats. It only needs to be 5.1 as I'll never add additional rear speakers in this room. I'm perfectly happy to buy something good used, budget is probably around $2K-$3K or whatever I can get for selling off my existing equipment. I also like the idea of selling the Integra and getting a DVD player that can connect to the reciever using one of the proprietary digital links so that I can cut down on the wires.

Any suggestions?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Marantz SR8400, NAD T763, maybe an Integra? I might consider hanging on to the amp and just using the receiver as a pre, unless you REALLY want to cut down on cables and space.

If it is going to be something with a proprietary connection, you will be most likely looking at Denon, probably the 3805 (not sure if the 4802r has Denon-link) and the DVD2900. If you aren't going to do a lot of DVD-A/SACD in this room, maybe you don't even need all those cables? Just use a digital connection and listen to the CD layer or DVD-V/stereo tracks?

3. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Cutting down on the boxes is a goal, so I'm pretty set on a receiver. (It will also help to deflect the Wife criticism due to all of the boxes in my theater set-up)

I'm not at all familiar with Marantz or NAD receivers. I'm vaquely familiar with Integra (there is a new one out right?), Denon, and Pioneer.

You raise a good question about whether I really need DVD-A/SACD in this room. It would be nice, but I'm far more likely to use my theater for that type of listening so realistically I probably don't need it. That being said, which recievers have proprietary connections? I seem to recall that Denon and Pioneer offer this. Probably also Meridian. Does Integra?

4. John Garcia

John
    I know Integra offers some good receivers, but the only digital link receivers I am certain of on the market right now are the Pioneer and one or two Denons. I believe Sony is about to release or has already released their latest model that has hires digital link as well. Neither NAD or Marantz offer this capability at this time, but they sound great [​IMG]

5. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I've never heard the Marantz or NAD. The local dealers I usually go to must not carry them. I'll have to look around for a dealer. Do you know which of the big chains carry them?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

It's kind of hard to find Marantz or NAD from larger chains. I know in my area (DC-Metro area) there are some smaller vendors who carry such brands.

You might want to start by looking at the respective Web sites for each manufacturer. They should have a means for you to locate a local dealer that carries the brand.

Best of luck!

7. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Marantz is tough to find. I used to see a lot of them in the early 80's here in Florida then I couldn't find anything. I thought they went out of buisness until I found a little shop in N.Y. N.Y. last year. I love their stuff.

8. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I checked out the Marantz website and it looks like my local Tweeter carries their products. Not a store I go to much.

I'll probably do a Marantz, Denon, Integra, Pioneer comparison.

9. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

Rich,
    If you can find it I HIGHLY recommend the Marantz SR-19EX or even better yet(but more expensive, the SR-18 or 14). I had this receiver and sold it to upgrade to separates and I miss it dearly. It has/had such a beautiful sweet warm sound and if I get the chance I will someday buy another one. They can be had used for around $1K or less. You might try audiogon or tsto.com as they tend to have Marantz stuff.

10. John Garcia

John
    Since you are looking for 5.1 only, I'd say the SR18 or 14 used would be a very good choice, possibly even an SR8000. Damn good receivers. If you were looking new, the SR8400 should be hitting the market soon, and/or the 8300 (which I own and am very happy with) is on clearance right now.

11. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

How do the feature sets of the older models compare to the new ones? Are the DAC's the same? How about the ampliphier sections?

I certainly like the idea of picking up a good used one. I've gone that way with a lot of my stuff to my own financial and sonic benefit[​IMG]

12. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

the pioneer elite is nice. but check out the newcastle R765 very sweet unit. price is great too for upgradealbe unit.

13. John Garcia

John
    IMO, with Marantz, the older units have slightly better amp sections or circuitry. Not sure what it was, but they sound great. Not that the new stuff sounds bad, but there was some real chemistry in that generation of gear. I just picked up a used SR5000 for a friend off Audiogon for $200. I'm listening to it right now, and it is nothing short of amazing for that kind of cash.

14. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Used B&K 507, the king of receivers, IMHO (based on sound alone)

Cheers

15. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I have so many suggestions now, I'm going to have to make a spread sheet to keep track of them [​IMG]

I talked with a local dealer last night who I trust and have done a lot of business with in the past and he recommended a Yamaha that he carries.

I was kind of wondering if B&K had anything. I have a B&K amp in my theater running the center and surrounds (Ref 7250) that I'm very happy with.

16. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

B&K is the only brand that has the same exact prepro section in their receiver as in their separate prepro, the Ref50. No compromises there. Also their amp section in the 507 is the best in the business for receivers, IMHO. So basically you are paying for a separates system consisting of a ref50 and a 125.7 amp in the same box, for as low as $2000 used. There is one available on Audiogon. I don't think that can be beat for sound quality.

17. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Yeah, I think that the B&K is the way to go. Other alternatives include the new Rotel 1067, Pioneer, Denon, and maybe Sony, but none of their pre sections will be as good as the B&ks.

18. John Garcia

John
    Sony would not be among my list of receiver choices.

19. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

Hmm... I noticed from the B&K website that there is also an AVR505. Basically the same thing as the 507 but with 5 channels instead of 7. This would be all I need.

Is the 505 hard to find? There aren't any currently listed on A'gon.

20. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Not many people buy the 505 so my suspicion is if you were able to find one used on A'gon it wouldn't be much cheaper than 2K or if you went to a dealer to buy a floor model it would be more than 2K. I think for that price the 507 is a bargain. The cheapest I have seen the Ref50 go for is about 1.5K on A'gon so for an additional $500 you are getting a top class 140x7 amp to go with it.