What's new

Receiver to match Klipsch Synergy Series speakers?? (1 Viewer)

George Freeon

Auditioning
Hey guys,

I'm a NEWBIE here, and was wondering if y'all could help me out really quick...I've read through many many of these threads, and you guys definitely know what you're talking about. And that is why I come to you for help...

I just purchased a new set of Klipsch Synergy speakers - a pair of SF-3's, a SC-3, a pair of SS-3's, and a KSW-12. Yes, I know, many of you may ask why, why didn't I go with Reference series. You see, I got these at 60% off retail, so all of it only cost me $900. And from what I've read, seen, heard, Synergy's aren't all that bad.

But now comes the tricky part...finding a good receiver to power these puppies. I do probably 75% home theatre, 25% music. I hear that Yamaha's aren't that great for Klipschs' because the speakers are already forward sounding. Is this because Yamaha's produce really clean, bright sounds? Is this the same case for Onkyo's? I like that Onkyo's have THX Select Certification, but does that even mean anything?

I also hear that HK's and Denon's are much better for Klipsch's. Any particular reason, and which models? Anybody out there have a similar set-up? Any and all suggestions/tips/advice will be much appreciated, as I am new to this very involved hobby!

PS - not looking to spend too much money on the receiver, probably no more than $400-$500.

cliff notes: need receiver to power Klipsch Synergy home-theatre, any thoughts?

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
A Yamaha might not be too bad. The Synergy series doesn't have as bright of a sound as the high-end Klipsch speakers. Also, by many accounts, Yamaha isn't as "bright" as in the past. If you go to BestBuy they will likely have the Synergy series hooked up to a Yamaha, so you could listen to it there. Denon or HK would also sound very good, maybe better. HK sells lots of refurb units on their website and on eBay so you can get great prices on them if you're willing to go refurb.

George Freeon

Auditioning
SethH -

Perhaps you can clear my skepticism on refurbs...I've never bought any refurbs - any reason why I shouldn't? Full warranty from manufacturer, right?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yep -- full warranty. Make sure you buy directly fromt he manufacturer though. As I mentioned you can buy through the HK website. They also sell on eBay, but I can't find any of their refurb auctions right now. You could certainly get a new HK for 400-500, but if you go refurb you will be able to get a step or two up.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
HK refurbs have the full 2yr warranty... Denon refurbs only have 90 days, and that's only when purchased from an authorized denon b-stock (rfurbished) dealer. The best HK deals are on ebay. Do a search for the seller "HarmanAudio" and you'll see what they have listed. A buddy of mine got their prior flagship model 7200 for a little over $700 about a month ago. A 525, 430, or 630 might possibly fit in your budget.

Hope this helps :)

George Freeon

Auditioning
So it sounds like you guys are recommending HK's...?

I've heard HK has reliability issues - any experiences with this?

George Freeon

Auditioning
The things I still don't understand is the disparity between wattage ratings.

Harman Kardon, Marantz, and Denon's RMS ratings are always LOWER than Yamaha, Onkyo, and Sony's equivalently priced receivers. Does this say that Yammies, Onkyos, and Sonys over-state their power ratings? How do I compare the brands when wattage ratings are so different?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Pretty much everyone is over-raiting their stuff, atleast in the sub $1k range, with HK as the one major exception. How much they over-rate is the question. Your denon's and pioneers are usually within 75% of their rated power. Marantz is close to that but had a few models that were WAY below rated power a few years ago. Yamaha has a record for being well below rated but still producing adequate real-world power, especially when considering with the new Yamaha stuff you're really paying for top notch processing. That's not to say the other similarly priced receivers that come closer to or meet their rated power don't have solid processing as well, but usually with the quality of one you lose quality of the other.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Also remember that you have to double the watts to increase by 3 decibels. So even IF they were all rated the same a 50-watt H/K would be 3 decibels lower than a 100-watt amp. This does not make much difference at most people's listen levels. In some rooms people need the extra 3db, but the avg consumer doesn't really care. Do a search on the forum to learn more about the rating systems used by different companies. There's lots of information about it, but in general a 50-65 watt H/K will be at least as powerful as any "100-watt" receiver that cost less than $600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks